Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help: Black screen after 10 minutes of gaming.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kuma-san

Kuma-san

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:41 PM

I was playing Gears of War for the first time today and I tried playing it but after 10 minutes into the game, the monitor would turn black, sound would skip for 5 seconds then I'd have to hard reset the computer. Then if I try to turn on the computer couple seconds afterward it won't boot. I would have to turn off the PSU for 15 seconds then turn it back on then start up the computer again.

I played Crysis before with no problems. However this was before I installed the new drivers. I'll try it out too to see if it'll give me the same problems.

I have no idea what the problem is but it keeps happening. I tried putting another fan on the side of the computer to see if it'll work or not but still no good.

My computer specs are as follows:

Processor: AMD Athlon 5400+ Blk edition
Mobo: Asus M3N78 Pro
Ram: 2gb OCZ Gold DDR800 Ram,
HD: 500Gb WD HD Sata 3.0gb, 300Gb Seagate HD Sata 150,
Video Card: PNY 9600GT 512MB w/ 178.13 firmware.
PSU: Antec 500W Earthwatts PSU

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I did some research on the web beforehand and they said it's recommended to have 26A on the 12+V rail. My PSU has 22A max rating on the 12V rail.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:13 AM

The minimum wattage for that graphics card it 400W @ 26A, the specs for the Antec earthwatts EA500 500W is 500W with a 17A on both of the 12V rails for a total of 34A.

Have you cleaned out the case for dust recently?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Kuma-san

Kuma-san
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:52 AM

It's only a month old system. There is no dust or anything inside. I have everything opened w/ cold air blowing into the system. I'm guessing it might just be the game itself or maybe the video card keeps overheating?

It happened to me couple of times when playing Crysis but never CS: Source. Gears of War does it every single time even when the computer is cooled adequately.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:38 AM

Take a look in the Event viewer and see what is showing up at the times that this is happening. If you need help with using or understanding the Event Viewer you can get information from this site. Please post back here with what you find.

Does having the case open effect its performance?

Edited by dc3, 17 October 2008 - 10:38 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Kuma-san

Kuma-san
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:22 AM

Thanks dc3. I'll try it tonight and keep you informed on what happens.

Having the case just drops the temps a little. I realize that the video card gets pretty hot. I do have enough fans in the computer and I'm not overclocking the CPU nor the GPU so temps don't get higher than 45C for the CPU.

UPDATE:
Thanks once again dc3. Totally forgot about event viewer. Anyway, I found the problem and fixed it right away! Thanks alot!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Kuma-san, 18 October 2008 - 04:23 AM.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:25 AM

UPDATE:
Thanks once again dc3. Totally forgot about event viewer. Anyway, I found the problem and fixed it right away! Thanks alot!!! :thumbsup:

So, what was the problem?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 Kuma-san

Kuma-san
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:34 AM

UPDATE:

So, what was the problem?

The driver for the DVD drive was acting funny. I think it was from my old version of Nero that I tried to install. Said that one of the drivers got corrupted/stopped working. Updated my Nero and now no more crashes. :flowers:

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users