Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help and Support Error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 koohii

koohii

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:06 PM

I couldnt find it in the services tab..but i found it in administrative n had click on automatic, so my help and support works now but there's another error >.< :

Posted ImagePosted Image

{Mod Edit: cleaned up post for OP~~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 17 October 2008 - 09:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 irrevocablexenophile

irrevocablexenophile

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:09 PM

Hey koohii!

This is quite an easy fix, you may have to restart your computer. Click start>run and type in msconfig. In the services tab, scroll down until you find Help and Support(there may be quite a few items, keep searching you'll find it. Click the service button to alphabetize them) the status of it will be paused. Check the box next to it, and click OK, or APPLY. When its done, close msconfig. It will probably ask you to restart, but say no and try the Help and Support, as you may not need to. If it still wont open, restart.
Best regards,
Tony

#3 irrevocablexenophile

irrevocablexenophile

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:26 AM

Hey there, glad you fixed the first problem. Then new problem just started after you turned it on automatic? I would guess it would be due to the name being spelt wrong, so it cant read it. Open regedit through start>run>(type "regedit" without the quotes) and find your way to the program or registry value you're receiving the error message from. HKLM refers to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE so open that, and then follow the registry key, displayed by the error message. I usually don't recommend changing values in the registry, but there shouldn't be a problem as long as you're just renaming it. When you find the key, it will probably be misplaced spelling or maybe nonexistent. If you found the one it should be, maybe off by a few letters, right click it, and click modify. Make sure you type in the EXACT file key name. This should hopefully solve your problem, if not, or if there wasn't even a value that looked close to the one stated in the error message, reply back here.
Best regards,
Tony

#4 koohii

koohii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

there wasn't a value that looked close to the error message

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:26 AM

http://www.techimo.com/forum/security-priv...keyloggers.html See response by no1 vern/

Louis

#6 koohii

koohii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:31 PM

uhm, i dont understand how that relates to my problem

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:50 PM

Hmmm...wasn't your question about the motive/acme error message? Have you clicked on that graphic you posted?

If not, chalk it up to my rapidly advancing senility>

Louis

#8 koohii

koohii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:15 PM

yes..because help and support were unable to open it( well thats what it said), i just want to know how to fixed it

by readin no1_vern's post i still dont understand how to fix it

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:06 AM

From link:

This program is usually used for security and prevention, but it can be used in nefarious ways(usually to capture a login password, etc.)
Simply put its a program that records each and every key that is typed into the keyboard. It had valid it support uses.

Quote: "purpose of the program is to provide you with a log of what you have typed on your own computer for later review. System administrators may also use the software to monitor computer usage with proper warning in advance. Please note that final user assumes all responsibilities associated with using this program."

That is from a FAC file here: http://www.amecisco.com/faq_ik97.htm#Q2

Malicious? Not directly, but that depends on who put it there and why. I am assuming it was put there by your IT guys(assuming its a company comp) for support purposes, but that is just a guess. It might have been put there by the previous owner or someone who had access to your computer.

I don't know if it's a keylogger, but...from what you've posted...I would be concerned enough to want a definitive answer as to how your system developed a registry key which you cannot access/remove.

I'd also like to know if this is a work computer.

Have you run any malware-removal programs on your system...as suggested in the link I presented?

Louis

#10 koohii

koohii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:10 PM

nope this isn't a work computer
and i haven't run any malware removal programs, i try to download the invisible key logger but my iolo anti virus said that it was an infection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users