Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow internet connection

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 eggy1004

eggy1004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:41 PM

I am currently sharing a wireless router w/ my roomate. She seems to have no problem with the internet so it seems the problem might be my laptop?

its just really slow lately. i can barely download stuff efficiently. normally for around 100-200mb it would dl b/w 1hour-1half

around 40-50 now i get barely pass 20. i do not use limewire/or any of those virusinfected programs. and i do not go to any suspicious sites. my internet just

seems to go on and off especially when i go into sites that seems to have heavy loading. then i do not

receive any internet connections and have to wait a long time to get it to come back on.i thought

maybe it could be some malware, which i doubt so i dl avg,

which seem to have made my computer more slow. i had scanned and restarted, it had found only the trojan horse downloader agent. msziptools.dll ?

just a minute ago, my internet stopped. its really frustrating when it comes to doing school work online.
and having to downloading things.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:08 PM

I am currently sharing a wireless router w/ my roomate. She seems to have no problem with the internet so it seems the problem might be my laptop?

its just really slow lately. i can barely download stuff efficiently. normally for around 100-200mb it would dl b/w 1hour-1half

around 40-50 now i get barely pass 20. i do not use limewire/or any of those virusinfected programs. and i do not go to any suspicious sites. my internet just

seems to go on and off especially when i go into sites that seems to have heavy loading. then i do not

receive any internet connections and have to wait a long time to get it to come back on.i thought

maybe it could be some malware, which i doubt so i dl avg,

which seem to have made my computer more slow. i had scanned and restarted, it had found only the trojan horse downloader agent. msziptools.dll ?

just a minute ago, my internet stopped. its really frustrating when it comes to doing school work online.
and having to downloading things.

heres a nice program that helps repair internet connectivty

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

do it manually first

In Windows XP, a reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then click Run. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box and then press ENTER:
cmd
2. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
When you run the reset command, it rewrites two registry keys that are used by TCP/IP. This has the same result as removing and reinstalling the protocol. The reset command rewrites the following two registry keys:

heres another thats gonna clear things

Start>>>run>>>cmd>>>ok

at the command prompt copy this and paste.....then press enter

ipconfig /flushdns

Edited by mme, 16 October 2008 - 09:48 PM.

#3 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:57 PM

thanx for the reply. just a quick question..

how would i know if i want "specify a directory path for the log file" or not??

i do not know if its an advantage or disadvantage either way.

#4 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:37 PM

open run box from start
copy and paste the flushdns command
that will clear your winsock and
you should have better access to internet

Start/Run/ cmd /press ok

at command prompt paste ipconfig /flushdns then press enter

ipconfig /flushdns

dont worry about logfile

Edited by mme, 16 October 2008 - 11:44 PM.

#5 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:52 AM

i do not know if it is just a coincidence or something bc of something else but it seemed to have

gotten slower as a result of the command , painstakingly slower and had to refresh a couple of

times to get my explorer to load the stuff, i had to keep refrehing so many times i am about to

slam my computer onto the wall. could it be just bad internet connection of the internet provider?

i evenhad a hard time being able to reply to this post.

would those speed acclerator programs ppl seem to be dl work?

should i be using those/

#6 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

i use a router ad got 3 wireless hook on to it
and one computer is hardwired
when ever things slow don i disconnect the router
press the reset button on the top(linsky)
and disconnect power supply
do the same with my modem
leave everything disconnected for about 5 minutes
plug it all back in

did you update your wireless drivers
go to the device manager
from start button

Start/Control Panel/click on System
Next click on Hardware Tab
Press on Device Manager
are there any yellow exclamation marks
even if there arent any click the +
on Network Adapters
Right click on wireless drivers and update them
or uninstall them restart your computer and they will get reinstall when computer starts up
i do that to mine when connectivity is lousy
let me know how it goes

#7 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:54 PM

yes i usually would disconnect my routers unplug for a few seconds and plug it back in. this is a

step i usually take from anger and frustration. I can't really tell u if it helps or not b/c the results

varies. and i guess with my bad temper i dont think i can wait 5minutes to plug it back in..

as for the hardware update it seems i can not update it w/out a cd.

i haven't tried the last step as of now b/c so far the internet has been steady. i will be sure to try

it the next time when my internet starts bugging me again and will give u an update.

thankyou for the tips!

#8 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:32 PM

updating your network adapters might improve your connection

#9 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:52 PM

I had just did the following command last night

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

and not i can't seem to connect to the internet anymore.

windows, my computer recognizes the internet.. the little computer icon on the bottom is on and working.

my roomates has no problem with her internet/computer.

i tried using the cable to the wall and it didn't work either. so it is my computer.

the command at the top i dunno exactly what that does but i followed the command that you had told me to do when i had trouble with the internet.

does that command cause the internet in the comp to shut off or something???

#10 malware_terminator

malware_terminator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:02 PM

Eggy,

Just out of curiosity, what Anti-Virus program are you using?? Also, have you installed any new software in the past couple of days??

Robert

#11 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

I had just installed AVG. it has been bout 10 days.
miraculiousy I have now been able to get online just a few minutes ago.

I do not know what i did to make it to work. other hand i do not that what caused it not to work in the first place. but i had just uninstalled avg, deleted a helper file. with extension .sig? in the common folders in program files.. it kept opening up whenever i started my computer. this problem also has only been a couple of days.

i did both of does, and after uninstalling avg, a browser popped up i guess it was a survey that wanted to take for stating reasons why i uninstalled avg. so obviously the internet started working.

and came here asap.

do you know if the avg program caused this problem orhas there been any previous problems with avg??

i am just so grateful that i am able to getonline!

#12 malware_terminator

malware_terminator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:44 PM

No, its not what I thought. I've recently had a couple of customers who had very slow computers and internet connections after installing Norton 360 Internet Security. This has caused quite a few problems for a lot of people. I'm not aware of any issues with AVG.

One thing that may be causing your computer to be so slow is that you may have a lot of programs running in the background. Go to Start > Run and type in: msconfig click ok. Go to the Startup tab and down on the bottom right, click the "Disable All" button. Click "Apply," then OK. It will ask you if you want to restart your computer, click Exit Without Restart. We don't want to restart just yet.

Next, go to Start > Run and type in cmd to open a command prompt and follow these steps.

1) From where the cursor is type: ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter.

2) Next type: ipconfig /release Enter

3) Next type: ipconfig /renew Enter

Now go ahead and reboot your computer and see if things run faster. Once your computer reboots, go back to "msconfig" and to the Startup tab. Go through the list and re-enable AVG, ctfmon and any other anti-malware programs you may want to have running. Don't worry about shutting everything off, these programs don't need to be running. Most of them only need to be started when you want them to be. The only one you really need running is your antivirus program and any other program you have that is protecting your computer, i.e. Spybot etc.

#13 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

i had actually had gone to msconfig before to see if those non important programs were running. but it seems

that the programs that are needed to be on were on and not were not running at start.. except there were

quite afew programs i had no idea what they were and didn't know if they needed to be running at start.

i installed avg. i am done with those antivirusprograms. they just seem to be slowing down my computer and

causing way too much lagging.. and thankyou for the extra ipconfig command tips. can i know exactly what it

does or what it means?

#14 malware_terminator

malware_terminator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:49 PM

Sometimes computers have networking problems that can be attributed to DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). Your home router act like a DHCP server and automatically assigns an IP address to your computer which allows it to connect to your network/internet. In some cases your computer isn't able to receive a valid IP address from your router. When your computer is unable to contact the router it usually assigns itself an IP address like 169.x.x.x (which means your computer can't connect to the network or internet). In some cases performing a "release and renew" on your IP information can clear up the problem and restore your Internet connection.

Also, please be sure to reinstall an anti-virus program before connecting to the internet. If you don't you'll leave yourself open to attack and you'll be very sorry in the long run. Personally I use Avast Anti-Virus which has been great. AVG is also supposed to be very good and their both free.

Were you able to disable all your startup programs and reboot your system?? Did it run any better?

Robert

#15 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:18 PM

well.. i didn't reinstall my anti-virus program and dont intend to i guess what i actually do get hit with something i have to suffer the consequences..

and yes i disabled some nonimportant startup programs but it didn't really seemed to help as of now.

but i recently found out that our community supervisors apparently have been getting many complaints about the internet from the residents around here and will be chaning to comcast( i dunno if thats any better) but so it seems it wasn't my laptop? but the internet provider maybe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users