Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

What is cheaper and better?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:08 PM

Is building your own computer cheaper and better than buying a computer that was built by a big company (like Dell)? Or is it the other way around?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:17 PM

For low-to-mid-end PCs, I'd say that it's about sixes, and probably in more cases the OEM (like Dell) can offer you the same PC for a better price. However, the "intimacy" and you feel with a homebuilt system and the upgradability (particularly with the power supply) can really come in handy. As for higher-end PCs, I would definitely say it is cheaper to build your own.

If you have the bucks, build your own. You learn a lot in the process.

#3 hamluis

• 55,000 posts
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:38 PM

Depends on the user...and you seem to have left out some choices.

There's a 3d tier of choices that are comprised of vendors like those offering systems at www.pricewatch.

In any case...if the user has no concept of maintaining the system, he/she probably ought to go the boxmaker (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.) route. A person who doesn't even maintain a system...is not likely to want to put one together and make choices about components.

The primary advantages to putting a system together are personal satisfaction, self-education, and a sense of accomplishment that the typical user of a boxmaker PC will never understand or want.

There was a time when it really was considerably cheaper to build rather than buy...but I think that day has pretty much passed.

As the previous poster stated...you also have to realize that the market has high-end, low-end perspectives. So I don't think there is one answer to your question, much of it depends on the situation and the user.

#4 Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:21 PM

Well im building another system for my cousin. Its basically the same system listen in my sig but with a THermaltake armor, E8400, MSI 9800GT oc, and a 640gb 32mb cashe seagate and it came out to around $1000. Where i build a system off dells website with an 8400, 640gb hdd, and a 9800gt and they wanted $1500. Just depends on what your doing
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users