Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I upgrade from XP to Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:05 PM

I know it hasn't been released but I was just wondering that if Windows 7 was released, can I upgrade my XP computer without doing a clean install (and reinstalling all programs) or do I have to do a clean install like if you want Vista on a Windows 2000 computer?

{Mod Edit:Moving from XP to W7 forum}

Edited by boopme, 29 November 2008 - 03:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

You'll have to wait for the specifications and requirements (for Windows 7) to be issued before you can find out. Windows 7 is in pre-beta right now, and won't even be released to special testers before the end of this month. While in beta they'll be refining the requirements - so don't expect a definite answer until it's nearly time for it to launch.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:23 PM

IMO, it's always better to do a clean install.

No point in laying a good, clean O/S on top of an operating system that may have all sorts of problems which users mistakenly believed would be solved...by installing on top of them.

Even if the O/S is pristine and perfect, a clean install ensures no possibility of settings/registry/file snafus between the old and the new.

Louis

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:41 AM

Yes, I would recommend a clean install as well.

But Microsoft would be stupid to not add that support, they already do about two operating systems back any ways (One could upgrade from Win2k to Vista)

So its likely.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:28 AM

Well, we all know that you need just a clean installation, its easier, faster(no files copying), and after Windows 7 prepared its first startup, it will be more faster than Windows 7 with "copied" Apps,Files...Just backup your files, or use online backups like Windows Live Skydrive, or backup tools...

#6 freewarestar88

freewarestar88

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

My answer is YES!
But there will always be some problem because of hardware and software incompatibilities.

best practice is to test it first on other unit before doing it your precious one :huh:

#7 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

Did Microsoft release the requirements for Windows 7 build 7000 yet?

#8 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

When I ran the installer for the beta today (in virtualbox) there was an option for an upgrade. I'm not sure if that will change or if it works for xp though.

So far I agree with everyone else, it's pretty much an upgrade to vista.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:05 PM

I attempted to upgrade XP Tablet SP3 to the beta of Win7 - and got a message that it's only available for Vista SP1 and later.

CAVEAT: This is a beta feature, so it may be changed in the final release.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 chrispreston05

chrispreston05

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

by the way, if anyone is still wondering the answer to this question, then the answer is NO. Only Vista will upgrade...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users