Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading gfx with integrated video

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 illahae

illahae

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

looking to upgrade my pc's graphics somewhat, it's an office pc so i know it isn't intended for gaming but i can't afford anything besides a new card. i have a couple questions though:

after some searching i am still unable to discern what type of graphics slot my pc has and in addition to that, once i select the appropriate card i've read a lot of mixed answers concerning how to handle the integrated video and was hoping to get a more specific answer for my pc.

here are all the specs i imagine one would need to assist me. if more are needed or any other info please let me know. i really appreciate any help.

Dell Dimension DV051
Intel p4 3.06 GHz
1014 MB RAM
Intel 82915G/GV/910GL express chipset family
Windows XP Professional
DirectX 9.0c
Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A04

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,265 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Well...what's the purpose of your upgrade? I mean...what do you do on your system that makes you believe you want/need an upgrade?

If you play games...which ones or which types?

There are (IMO) very few routine-user applications (other than games) that benefit from more than onboard video capabilities...exceptions would be (to some extent) serious graphics- or video-editing programs, CAD, and such.

I believe this is your system, http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...n/sm/about0.htm

DV051 is the internal/Dell code.

Louis

#3 illahae

illahae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:40 PM

i don't intend on playing any top of the line games or anything, in fact the only game i'm interested in playing is wolfenstein enemy territory, which is actually a pretty dated game, however i need a significant fps boost. so i know i don't need a top of the line gfx card but i also know i need to upgrade from the integrated video. and how to do so is where i'm uncertain.

#4 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:23 PM

Well, your motherboard only has two PCI slots and 1 PCI-E x1 slot, which is kind of peculiar and will make shopping for a video card difficult. Modern-day video cards use a PCI-E x16 slot, which is a longer variant.
With the PSU that has been put in your PC, you can't go too heavy-duty with your video cards, either.
The PCI-Express would be better than a normal PCI video card, but the cheapest PCI-E x1 video card I can find is running for $99.99, and the only PCI cards I can find are quite low-end, and you would probably not note that much of a difference in FPS.

Here's the $100 video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161197

When compared to the "normal" PCI-E x16 variant of that video card, you will see that that is simply EXPENSIVE for what it is.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102080

#5 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

Heres the specs
Dell Specs

Yea dont really have much to choose from video card wise. Honestly i wouldnt put that kind of money into it cuz what you really want is pcix16. For that system i would just buy this card but off ebay until you can upgrade to a system with pcix16

I will probably be slower then the $100 card but you really dont want to throw alot of money into an old system. You should just save it for a better one.

FX5500

FX5500 ebay

The other thing you could do is upgrade your RAM to this

G Skill 533
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#6 illahae

illahae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:53 PM

thanks for the replies guys, and yes i was browsing yesterday for pci-express x1 cards yesterday and it does appear it will be a little difficult. i'll heed your advice and go for a cheaper version but believe me i won't be getting an entirely new rig anytime soon.

now about the onboard video, with my motherboard will i be able to go into the boot menu and simply switch my primary video or will there be anything about closing or opening jumpers that i've read about (something of which i have no clue about)? or will i simply be able to disable it through the device manager?

again, thanks a ton for all the help.

#7 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:14 PM

You just go to start, control pannel, system, hardware, device manager, then display adapters. It should say onboard video or the chipset. Right click that and click disable. Then shut down computer, install g-card, then turn comp back on and install drivers off nvidia or off ATi site.

Edited by Lucky23, 17 October 2008 - 02:14 PM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users