Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Protection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Clueless

Clueless

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:29 PM

Would you recommend which one i should use? read an earlier reply by brunt and he said to disable ms firewall and i went to services and disabled it . using adaware and spybot. norton 04..... Hope i'm inside the rules and not asking too many questions... thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dangitall

Dangitall

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:34 PM

From what I've read, the only good thing to be said for the firewall included with WinXP is that it's better than nuthin'.

I've been using the free version of ZA forever, and I've never had a problem. If I was you, I'd download and install ZA NOW (Surfing without a firewall? Are ye daft?!) and then go looking for info regarding your options.
'Newbie'?? In a pig's ear!

Main Machine: 500MHz P3, 320MB PC100, 80GB Seagate, Nvidia FX5200, Philips RhythmicEdge

#3 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:02 PM

Would you recommend which one i should use? read an earlier reply by brunt and he said to disable ms firewall and i went to services and disabled it . using adaware and spybot. norton 04..... Hope i'm inside the rules and not asking too many questions... thanks.

I said to disbale it if you are going to use ZA,

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:03 PM

Heres the one i use by a trusted name! SYgate personal free version! I hope you will like it it only takes a few mins to download. Great features and very easy to use! ANybody else agree???
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:04 PM

Yes make sure you dont have the one brunts talking about if you use ZA or the sygate i suggested. Thanks

#6 Dangitall

Dangitall

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:18 PM

As CGM3 alludes to, only run one firewall program at a time.

In other forums (hopefully not here), the choice of firewalls can be one laden with - shall we say? - passion, a passion almost rivalling that of one's choice in AVs. Like I suggested, I'd download and install one of the freebies (ZA and Sygate come to mind) NOW and then look into what's available. You may choose to go with one of the paid programs, like Outpost, Look'n'Stop or Norton (there are others) or you might decide that one of the freebies suits your needs.

However, install one of the freebies NOW to get protected NOW! The mere thought of surfing firewall-less gives me a case of the heebie-jeebies! :thumbsup:
'Newbie'?? In a pig's ear!

Main Machine: 500MHz P3, 320MB PC100, 80GB Seagate, Nvidia FX5200, Philips RhythmicEdge

#7 Xemus

Xemus

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2004 - 04:59 AM

Microsoft has done alot to improve the Windows Firewall in XP service pack 2, but the non-Microsoft programs are generally regarded as better.
Note that Zonealarm version 5.0 has some serious issues, make sure you get 5.1.

A quick google search will lead to tons of comparisons between the various flavors, but as long as you have one of the major ones, and it's intuitive for your use (firewalls can be somewhat tricky for the non-technical and can actually be more of a hazard if not careful) you should be fine.

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:23 PM

oK well for all newbies ti pcs and internet GET A FIREWALL AS SOON AS YOU GO ONLINE!! It is so important! I got 6 viruses and adaware has removed over 900 things! I have tons of adware and spyware removers which is also important! VERY! Well thought i wouls share my opinion. But on a serious side it is very important.

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:16 AM

Reports indicate that the SP2 firewall is improved, but that it still only handles incoming packets and not outgoing as well. The commentary I have read suggests users get a non-MS firewall.
Sygate Personal Firewall is quite good (I prefer it to ZAlarm) and is free.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:25 AM

Yep sygate has good features for being free!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users