Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broadcom 440X LEDs flashing and "network cable unplugged"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dppitone

dppitone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:44 PM

Hi, I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with a Broadcom 440x NIC. I've attached an ethernet cable to the NIC to connect a wireless bridge. The "Local Area Network" icon remains at "network connection unplugged," and the NIC is continually flashing yellow in one indicator and orange in the other indicator. So I'm stuck here. Can anyone know what this flashing code means and what perhaps can be done to get a connection?
Thanks, Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:46 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Well...does the connection work properly?

You say that you are employing a wireless bridge...does the network on the other side of the bridge transmit anything? Is it properly set up? That message seems to say no.

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3639271

Louis

#3 dppitone

dppitone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:45 PM

The "Local Are Network" icon in Network connections says "Network connection unplugged," and the "status" link is dehighlighted and can't be selected. Under the TCPIP properties, it does not show any IP assigned. So it seems to not be connected.

The function of the wireless bridge that I'm installing is to pick up wireless networks that are transmitting within it's range. It is supposed to connect and assigns and IP address for my PC.

When all is hooked up between the bridge and my PC, the lights on the wireless bridge are blinking "ready." My understanding is that there is no real setup procedure for the bridge, and that once connected via the ethernet port on my PC, it should show a local area network.

While it is hooked up, there is a regular continual flashing of the LED indicators on the NIC (about once per second, yellow and orange). I tried to get info off the net of what that flashing sequence means, but can't find anything. I was thinking that it could point me to the problem. Does anyone have ideas?

#4 Kevin Childers

Kevin Childers

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:37 AM

Try adjusting your Link/Speed & Duplex settings to 10 MB Half.
Broadcom cards sometimes have a problen auto-detecting/adjusting to lower speed connections.
10 Mb half duplex is slow as your likely to ever see, but for most conenctions it is sufficent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users