Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal Internet Problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:55 PM

Okay, heres my problem. About a month ago, I noticed my computer began running very slow while on the internet. Offline work was normal, but when I connected to the net, pages took 15-20 seconds to load. I have a Dell Inspirion desktop that is a little over a year old running windows vista with SP1 hardwired to a modem. It has alot of memory available and I've cleaned all cookies, and TIF files. I've also cleaned and defragmented the hard drive numerous times but was still having problems. Figuring I had a virus, I posted a topic in the Hijackthis, and Am I infected...area. I was contacted by a moderator in Hijackthis and we ran through a number of programs and he found that my computer was clean. I also had to many spyware programs running, of which I've stopped all but two of them. I've also done other scans and cleanings, all finding no problems. I've done a speed test and found the internet coming in at the correct speed. A laptop hooked to the same modem has a fast internet so its not the modem itself. So I've pretty much singled the computer out as the problem. My question is, and one that I've put in other topics with no response, could the port where the net cable plugs into the computer have gone bad? Or is there a processor or driver that has something to do with the net that could be bad? And if so, can any of these be replaced? There is only one port on the computer that the net computer can plug into so I can't try another one. Any help or insight would be appreciated! I've been dealing with this for to long and this is a home business computer that is really dragging down our business.
Thanks
Dylan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:38 PM

could the port where the net cable plugs into the computer have gone bad?

If the port was bad, it wouldn't work period. It is more than likely a software conflict. Firewalls can cause issues. Windows updates can cause this, or a corrupt browser. Which browser and what version do you use? Start by removing add-ons. Which firewall do you use? Check the security level
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:44 AM

Hello
Thank your for your reply. I was using windows firewall when this occured. I now have zone alarm firewall. My browser is IE7. I have reset the internet in internet options and that didn't help. Can I completely uninstall it and do a reinstall? As far as the add-ons, would I need to go in and "turnoff" each one and see if that helps? I hadn't done any software changes around that time that I can remember. I did have a software update from a free program I had downloaded that came in around that time. Thats when I did the inital virus scan and found a trojan in that program and since then I've uninstalled it. I wonder if that is why the HJT member didn't see anyting wrong. Is there a way to go through the whole computer and remove parts of the program that didn't uninstall? I really appreciate your info!
Dylan

Edited by Dborns, 17 October 2008 - 06:50 AM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:22 AM

I'll get back to this later today. What program are you referring to?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:05 PM

It was a program called secunia. It was a free download that I had for about a year and never used. I thought I had uninstalled it but one day while I was online it showed up again in the lower right and said it was doing an update. The Symantec scan found "backdoor.trojan" in that update. I don't see the program on my computer anywhere. I uninstalled the program and never saw the backdoor.trojan again in subsequent scans so I thought it was gone.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:44 PM

As far as the add-ons, would I need to go in and "turnoff" each one and see if that helps?

Yes, process of elimination.

I doubt if secunia loaded a trojan, probably a false positive
Did you try Process Explorer that Dachew mentioned in your earlier post?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx
Have you tried a different browser such as firefox with the same results?
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
Let me look around a little bit more
Mark
Posted Image

#7 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 05:19 PM

I didn't see Process Explorer but I did find the others he suggested and stopped them. I haven't tried firefox, but I can do that when I get home tomorrow. Is there a way to uninstall IE and reinstall it? I know you can reset it, but I did that and lost part of my toolbar.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:30 PM

Is there a way to uninstall IE and reinstall it?

I didn't notice, are you using XP? You can uninstall IE7 in Add/Remove Programs. It will roll back to IE6
Mark
Posted Image

#9 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:22 AM

Hello
I went through and disabled each addon and it didn't help. However, when I downloaded firefox, the internet is running faster than ever. So the problem lies with IE. I wasn't able to find IE in the add/remove programs to uninstall it so I didn't do that. I do like Mozilla, but I don't know if I want to stay with it or try to fix IE. The one problem I see is that even though it asked if I want to move my bookmarks from IE to Firefox, it didn't do it. I have hundreds of them and it would take awhile replacing them. Any suggestions?

Edited by Dborns, 18 October 2008 - 11:24 AM.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:56 PM

I'm almost positive it copies them to Firefox ,not remove them. It's been a long time. I have to leave for a wedding. A quick question in our browser forum should get you an answer
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/14/web-browsingemail-and-other-internet-applications/
Mark
Posted Image

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:21 PM

When you switch to Firefox it imports the bookmarks to Firefox and does not delete them. But to be sure you can always back up your Bookmarks by going to the file menu and selecting import/export and export your favorites to a file.

Edit: With so many important bookmarks you should back them up anyways. I have lost hundreds of them by forgetting to do that :thumbsup:

Edited by Sneakycyber, 19 October 2008 - 02:22 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users