Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window XP Laptop running incredibly slowly, high CPU levels

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Julen

Julen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:07 AM

Hello, BleepingComputer members!

I'm having a few issues with my Dell Latitude D620. I'm not entirely sure when these troubles started to arise--after installing Windows XP Service Pack 3, my laptop did start to run a bit slower, but it was nothing to sneeze at. After installing iTunes 8, however... that's when the problem became incredibly obvious.

I used to be able to run FireFox 3, iTunes, MSN Messenger and even Adobe Photoshop simultaneously without my laptop even breaking a sweat, but now I'm lucky if I can even run FireFox and MSN Messenger at the same time. Something's causing my laptop to slow down drastically, but I can't seem to find the problem at all. There are times where I run Task Manager and my CPU is fluctuating between 65% and 100% with just FireFox or iTunes open--heck, FireFox will be using 90,000K of Memory Usage at times. (Sometimes the CPU is that bad with no applications running!) I can't use Adobe Photoshop for drawing anymore; brush strokes will lag.

I've run Mal-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, and even my anti-virus software to see if there were any malwares or viruses in my system: All come up clean. So does CheckDisk.
I've defragged my C:\ drive multiple times, uninstalled programs I no longer use, and even tweaked some of my registry settings to improve CPU and Memory usage, all to no avail. As you can imagine, this is causing a lot of stress.

Even running the laptop in Safe Mode is a pain. It lags there, too.

My Dell has the following specs:
* Genuine Intel® CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz
* 988 MHz, 1.99 GB of RAM
Running Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3.
My C:\ drive can hold up to 93.0 GB; there's 15.3 GB of space remaining.

If you need anymore information, I will try my best to give it. Please help!

Thanks in advance,
Julen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:37 AM

After installing iTunes 8, however... that's when the problem became incredibly obvious.

Have you tried un installing iTunes8 and then testing system, or reverting back to the previous version? Have you taken a look at your start up programs? START>RUN>Msconfig>Startup tag . Take a look of those programs, and see if there are any that you do not need running. If you are unsure about one post back for answer. :thumbsup:

#3 Julen

Julen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:46 AM

Have you tried un installing iTunes8 and then testing system, or reverting back to the previous version?

Thanks for the response! Yes, that was one of the first things I tried. Uninstalling iTunes 8 seemed to do little, and reverting back to a previous version didn't do much help--iTunes 8 has re-encrypted my purchased songs to only work with the latest version. (Which is a total drag, I'm not a fan of version 8!)

Have you taken a look at your start up programs? START>RUN>Msconfig>Startup tag . Take a look of those programs, and see if there are any that you do not need running. If you are unsure about one post back for answer. :thumbsup:

I've tried that as well. I had a whole slew of programs opening at startup, and now it's been reduced to only four programs: ccApp, VPTray, PSFree, and Adobe Gamma. (Mind you, I have no idea what any of those do.) :/

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:40 AM

Did you used to have Norton? It looks like VPTray may be related. Maybe you didn't remove it completely.

CCApp is CCleaner.

#5 Julen

Julen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

Did you used to have Norton? It looks like VPTray may be related. Maybe you didn't remove it completely.

Unfortunately, I still have Norton. My college requires Symantec Anti-Virus to be installed on all Windows laptops, and if it isn't, we cannot access the Internet. :/

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:03 AM

You can look startup items up, using Google.

FWIW: It's a good idea to have your AV and firewall protection running at startup.

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/psfree

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/...loader.exe.html

Louis

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

The initial release of iTunes 8 had some problems, have you tried updating it to the latest available version?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Julen

Julen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

The initial release of iTunes 8 had some problems, have you tried updating it to the latest available version?

Yes, I have. Installing the latest update didn't seem to help the problem in the least bit.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:46 PM

vptray.exe is normally the tray bar process for Norton AntiVirus
ccapp.exe is normally the Symantec Common Client CC App
PSFree is normally the Panicware Software Pop-Up Stopper
Adobe Gamma is a program that's supposed to make your display more accurately show colors (I presume with Adobe applications).

I've seen a lot of corruptions of the Norton/Symantec software recently, so I'd suggest:
1 - finding your Norton/Symantec registration info
2 - download a new copy of the Norton/Symantec program (don't install it yet).
3 - google for "norton removal tool" (without the quotes) along with the version that you're using (2007, 2008, 2009, etc) and download it from the Symantec website (don't run it yet)
4 - disconnect your internet cable from the computer.
5 - uninstall your Norton/Symantec programs
6 - test your system to see if it works better.
7 - double click on the Norton Removal Tool and let it uninstall the remaining traces of the Norton/Symantec product
8 - install the freshly downloaded copy of the Norton/Symantec product.
9 - shutdown, reconnect the internet cable, and restart the system.
10 - update the Norton/Symantec product's definitions.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:56 PM

You should try running Dells diagnostic utility designed for your machine. It can be found here At least this will rule out any issues with the system. You may want to look here as well to see if there are any updates for your machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users