Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help recovering files asap

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:40 AM

My computer has been being lame lately. Today I've been using it, then all of the sudden windows defender says it has detected a trojan, and to protect my computer it needs to restart. Before this I was on update.microsoft.com downloading and installing 27 updates. Some of them were for nvidia, which I feel is what messed up my computer.. that is usually the case anyways. So when everything was done installing, I restarted. Problem is my computer never did restart, it was in the process, you know the bar that looks like the one below, it was on that, then all of the sudden paused. No error message, nothing. It just paused I have my music files and all that backed up on 4shared. But I never finished backing them up :thumbsup: So anyways, it never restarted. So I held the power button in, pressed F8, tried booting in safe mode, which of course didn't work either, it too paused, it sat there forever. So I unplugged the computer, and pressed F8 again, and tried that thing that let's you start using the most recent setting that worked, it paused on the boot screen again. My only option was to restore, so I used my restore disc, and did a system restore with backup, which said it would reinstall the entire operating system, and put my files in a folder in C: xxxxxxx which it did. The folder is in C: My Backup -- 16-10-08 0431. Now to the point... I went to that folder, expecting my files to be backed up, but they're not The files I wanted backed up were on the desktop, in a folder named "My Files" I've had the computer search for these files, but they're nowhere to be found. So I assume that when I reinstalled the os, it "erased" them. So can I get them back still? Since the os reinstallation, I've only installed one thing on the hard drive, which is a usb network adapter to get on here, and get help. So could someone please recommend me a program, that is capable of recovering files I had BEFORE I had to reinstall my stupid os. Thanks very very much.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:18 AM

You want data recovery software.

All kinds available...I'm not experienced with any free versions...you might try http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Search/recovery.html

I have a paid version...Quetek's File Scavenger, http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users