Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scheduled Tasks

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Winnipeg

Winnipeg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 03:45 PM

Can anyone help me with this question, I have RegSeeker, RegScrub, Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot Search and Destroy and other programs.

These programs are listed in scheduled tasks and I can schedule them to open when I want. The problem here, they won't start the program when it opens. I even tried to write a batch program to tell the program to run automatically. The program opens with the batch file but does not start the program and run it.

The programs like Norton Anti-Virus, ie, one button scan or full system scan work fine and I have no problems. I can open Outlook Express and set it to open 5 hours latter and the program opens and downloads my mail. I can set defrag and I get the same results.

Is their some kind of trigger that will open the above programs ie, RegSeeker, Ad-Aware, or do none of these programs run automatically.

What do you have to put in a batch file to open and run the program. I thought as long as you had the correct path and what the program was to do, everything would work. When Ad-Aware opens, I would tell the batch file to start and click on icon/button- start program.

I'm I barking up a wrong tree or are these programs coded that way- not to run on auto.

I know it's not a problem with the scheduled tasks because when, I check the log scheduled tasks say's - exits with a code of 0 and that means it was loaded and the program ran without errors.

Has anyone tried to run one of these programs only to find that when they open, they won't start automatically.

Thanks for any help.

Winnipeg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:07 PM

You need to run these programs with their command line arguments so that they run. Opening the program wont do anything butopen them. You need to make them scan. For example this command line will do an update and then a scan

C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal\Ad-Aware.exe" +update +procnuke

So you would use that in your scheduled tasks. You need to look up the command line arguments for your other programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users