Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Authorising XP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PaulCarlton

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:18 AM

A colleague went on holiday recently, leaving me to reformat and reinstall her laptop while she was away. She has an Inspirion XP. Because the original disks were missing I bought a sealed Dell XP Pro disk on Ebay.

The XP Pro has installed but when I turned over the laptop for the authorisation number I discovered that she had been running XP Home, so that the authorisation code doesn't work. However, we still have an old HP laptop in the office which collapsed more than a year ago and which we have not used since. This ran XP Pro so I tried using that number but that won't work either. The Dell distribution disk has a DS/N number on its label beginning DE -0R2527.

I don't know if it's possible that this is a German disk and I am in the UK but is there anyway to authorise the operating system? After all, I have paid Microsoft for it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:33 AM

Dell's are finicky in what they'll accept and authorize. Try contacting Dell and see what they'll advise. In the US I've seen Dell send the recovery disks for free (and they've also charged for some) - so I'd give them your story and see what they have to say.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users