Posted 01 May 2005 - 07:42 PM
These are the steps:
1. Run Microsoft Windows XP upgrade advisor
to check if your system is suitable for XP Pro.
2. In Win98SE go to the Control Panel start Add/Remove Programs and click the 'Startup Disk' tab and make a startup floppy.
3. Backup anything you still want from the old system because it won't be there when you've finished. Address book? Favourites? ISP configuration?
4. Boot from the startup floppy (with or without CDROM support) and at the A: prompt type "FORMAT C:" without the quotes. If you are sure answer "Y" to the warning.
5.When the format has finished reboot the PC and hit the Del (or Delete) key or whatever your system uses to access the BIOS. Set the First boot device to be CDROM.
6. Put your WinXP Pro CD in the drive and reboot. this will start the windows XP installation process.
Let us know how you go
Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.