Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TOTALLY deleting WIN98

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 namagodai

namagodai

• Deactivated
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 03:34 PM

How do I get to the boot menu before my desktop shows up on the screen? I want to TOTALLY delete windows 98SE and install Windows XP Pro on a fresh EMPTY SYSTEM. How do I do this? Please, someone help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 07:42 PM

These are the steps:
1. Run Microsoft Windows XP upgrade advisor to check if your system is suitable for XP Pro.

2. In Win98SE go to the Control Panel start Add/Remove Programs and click the 'Startup Disk' tab and make a startup floppy.

3. Backup anything you still want from the old system because it won't be there when you've finished. Address book? Favourites? ISP configuration?

4. Boot from the startup floppy (with or without CDROM support) and at the A: prompt type "FORMAT C:" without the quotes. If you are sure answer "Y" to the warning.

5.When the format has finished reboot the PC and hit the Del (or Delete) key or whatever your system uses to access the BIOS. Set the First boot device to be CDROM.

6. Put your WinXP Pro CD in the drive and reboot. this will start the windows XP installation process.

Let us know how you go

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:20 PM

Windows XP Upgrade Advisor > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upg...ng/advisor.mspx

Please read this update notice in its entirety.

Be advised it is a 50MB download also.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:58 PM

Cripes! didn't realise it was 50MB. I've always had the upgrade advisors on CD's from PC Magazines, filesize (now that I look) 32MB. Still a very hefty download.

How useful it is depends on how old the PC is and how much pain it will be if some components don't work. It's your decision whether you think it worth the effort of downloading it.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:01 AM

Try Belarc Advisor. Run that and the results will be shown in an Internet Explorer window. Go to File>Save As and save that window as a text file. Copy that text file and post the result here. That will give us enough info to determine if you need to upgrade anything before trying to install XP.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users