Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card advice?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gein

Gein

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:29 AM

I just purchased a HP Pavilion a6330f.

The computer is good imo at least. 3 gb ram, 2.8 ghz, duel core processor.

My issue is with the onboard video card. I've noticed that some games do not play right. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good, reasonably priced gamer card that will get me closer to where I'd like to be? The PC does have a PCI Express x16 slot. I'm not sure about the power supply, but from what I gather online, it's 250W. (I don't want to crack the case and void the warranty just yet. Wanna find out what store charges to put it in, and not void warranty first)

I'm pretty sure I'll need a larger power supply as well to run a new card, capable of at least "decent" gaming on all the top games. So if anyone knows a good, but cheaper priced video card, please let me know, and what size power supply i'll need to update to.

Thanks alot guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

It would help to know what games your playing. THis is the card im throwing in the rig im building for my cousin. This card is very fast for the price unless your going over 22" monitor.

MSI 9800 GT OC

Power Supply wise go with the best one you can afford. I think you need at least 26a on the 12v rail/rails. If it has less than that then you need to look for a better power supply. If you want to spend extra money then get on thats 80+ certified. There more efficient and it might save you from upgrading the power supply again in the future.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:19 PM

The type of video card you should get depends on what games you are playing. Also, your power supply will limit the the card you can get. Some of the more powerful modern cards need far more than 250W. I don't think you will void the warranty by opening the case and installing a new video card. That said, there are several cards to choose from.

NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX - Not extremely new, but reasonably priced with good performance.
NVidia GeForce GTX 260 - Newer and more expensive. It only really has two or three specs that are higher than the 9800 GTX.
Asus ATI Radeon HD 4870 - More powerful, specs wise, than the GTX 260 but is more expensive than it.
Asus ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 - ATI's top-of-the-line card. It is two normal HD 4870's combined into one card. It competes with NVidia's GTX 280 card and sometimes out performs it.

All these cards require a better PSU than you have, the 4870 X2 requires a minimum of 650 watts.

3939.png

#4 Gein

Gein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:27 AM

While I'd love the card I choose to play games like Crysis, I know that may take more money than I'm willing to spend.

I'd love it to be able to play Assassin's Creed, Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway, and other newer games though, as well as add to the performance of ones I already play (Such as CoD4).

I'm taking baby steps. Right now I have a HP L1706 flat screen monitor. 17 inch. The PC is nice for me, 3 gb of ram, which I will eventually top off to 4.

I'm aware that with whatever card I choose, chances are I'll have to upgrade my power supply, which isn't a problem at all.

#5 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:26 AM

I would recommend that you get a decent 400W power supply and spend the money on a nice mid-range video card. I don't think you need the extremely high-end video cards that are being suggested to you, although they would make your life nice.
This seems like a pretty decent power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153023

400 watts really does open your possibilities quite a bit into the land of mid-range bliss.

From ATi, I would suggest:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814127383

And from NVIDIA:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814133239

#6 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:50 AM

i wouldnt go with the ati card because its only 128bit interface but the 9600gt is a good card also.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:13 PM

The 9800 GTX card is not considered extremely high end, especially when the question is essentially asking what card will let me play today's top games well. The 98** series of cards is more powerful and more expensive but you do get a speed increase since the 9800 has more stream processors and higher clocks. For more mid-range cards you could try the 9800 GT, it fills the performance space between the 9800 GTX and the 9600 GT. Any of the cards mentioned so far can be combined with two or more cards to increase performance, however it is expensive. If you do get a new PSU, I suggest one from Corsair or Silverstone.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users