Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP reinstall vs repair

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:29 PM

Hey guys,

I'm working as a computer tech and i have a question i would like to get your opinions of.

What do you think of using the Repair function on the xp CD as opposed to doing a fresh install. I have recently been using the repair feature, as data files don't need to get backed up, therefore saving time for both me and the customer. What are the drawbacks/advantages of repair and "fresh install". Is saving the time worth it, or will i just end up having to re-service the customer because problems were just "covered up" instead of deleted and written over?

Any info/opinions you can sure would be a help. Thanks in advance,

-Tenz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dnap

dnap

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:34 PM

well i believe using the repair option just restores windows to the way it was when it was originally installed from the cd, whereas a fresh install, you will probably have to reactivate it, and repair wont require that.

CPU - AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Motherboard -MSI 990FXA-GD80

Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 280

Storage - Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM

Power Supply - hec XP1080 800W

Case - Antec DF-35

#3 Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:39 PM

Repair only brings back the original windows files. A fresh install is still best.
Posted Image

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:46 PM

Because there is always the chance that data can be lost when doing a repair I always back up everything that isn't on a CD when I'm working with someone else's machine, so there's no real time saved. I would rather wipe the drive and do a fresh install, makes it all new again and gets rid of any missed infections. Activation can be done online, that isn't a biggy.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:01 PM

Because there is always the chance that data can be lost when doing a repair I always back up everything that isn't on a CD when I'm working with someone else's machine, so there's no real time saved. I would rather wipe the drive and do a fresh install, makes it all new again and gets rid of any missed infections. Activation can be done online, that isn't a biggy.

very true activation can be done online
providing you got hispeed
but for dial up
the activation screen will show you a number to call

Edited by mme, 15 October 2008 - 10:01 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:25 AM

I'd say that it depends on the installation that you're working with. If it's been installed for a while, and the system feels sluggish, it's usually better to wipe and reinstall. That way you'll have that "new Windows smell" :thumbsup: If the customer was satisfied with it the way that it was, then I'd go with the repair.

The major drawback occurs if there isn't a CD/DVD with the drivers available. That'll require you to manually locate and install the drivers for that system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:44 AM

IMO...it depends on what is wrong with the system.

A repair install is not guaranteed to overcome many things, even when it goes well.

It won't necessarily restore a system that has had malware problems (but it may).

It won't repair NTFS problems that can only be truly corrected by deleting/reinstalling NTFS (format/clean install).

It won't address hardware situations.

It will correct problems which are truly operating system problems.

So many users seem to not backup...it's probably worth the 35 minutes or so that it takes to try...for those who still don't see the value of backing up routinely.

For those suffering from infections, a clean install would be my recommendation.

Louis

#8 tenz

tenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for the insights so far.
I have been getting feedback from customers that the repair feature does in fact get the windows working, but it does not fix everything, especially problems not caused by the OS itself. Since it takes the same time to back-up and repair as it does to backup and reinstall, the reinstall should be my only option (after backup of course).

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

It depends on the situation as to which is appropriate.
Also, you don't want to get a reputation as a tech who uses the "wipe and reinstall" to fix all problems.
Usually, at work, I recommend a repair (not necessarily a repair install) - but let the customer decide about the backup/"wipe and reinstall".
Some people want their system back quickly - so they're most likely to go for the backup/"wipe and reinstall"
Others want to save their system the way they have it setup - so they'll go for the repair
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 tenz

tenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:53 PM

Usamsa,

your right, i wouldnt want to be known as that tech who resorts to a clean install for everything, but im not talking about everything, just when windows isnt booting and its down to my last options, repair or reinstall. When I say repair i mean the repair function from the windows disk (after pressing enter to set up windows, then agreeing to the liscence and all that jazz, not the repair console), not the general meaning of the word repair. Its not like everytime i get a spyware infected customer, i decide to re-install.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:14 PM

I didn't think that you were doing that, but just wanted to make the point (in case others read this for advice)

You're not just limited to a repair install when Windows won't boot. You can do things in the recovery console, and you can do things with the PE/RE tools, or even with a boot disk like the Ultimate Boot CD.

At work our "rule of thumb" is if we work on a system for 10 days trying to remove the stuff and still can't get it clean, then we offer the customer the choice:
- we continue to work on it indefinitely until it's done, or
- we wipe and reinstall (and a backup is offerred for an additional charge).

#12 iitsme

iitsme

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:34 PM

Hey guys,

I'm working as a computer tech and i have a question i would like to get your opinions of.

What do you think of using the Repair function on the xp CD as opposed to doing a fresh install. I have recently been using the repair feature, as data files don't need to get backed up, therefore saving time for both me and the customer. What are the drawbacks/advantages of repair and "fresh install". Is saving the time worth it, or will i just end up having to re-service the customer because problems were just "covered up" instead of deleted and written over?

Any info/opinions you can sure would be a help. Thanks in advance,

-Tenz

IMHO A clean install is by far the better :thumbsup: even time is not important if you have to repair more than you need to..... I do about 25/35 a week once done I never have a problem from the customers :flowers: and they even thank me for my efforts :trumpet:
Who me!

#13 ladylei

ladylei

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:51 PM

Can a Windows repair be done without the orginal disc that the operating system was installed with? I was under the impression that I would need that disc. If I ran a repair with say another XP Home or Pro disc that didn't come with the system, the install would then ask for the product ID number or serial, which I don't have. If I run a repair with the original disc, I am not prompted for a product ID or serial during the repair.

Can someone clear this up for me? Thanks.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:44 AM

Technically, yes, if you have a valid Windows installation and have the product code you can use another disc to reinstall the operating system. But is would have to be the same disc that was used for the original installation. Example, you would have to use a XP Home to reinstall the same, and the Pro for the same... And if it is a OEM like Dell, HP, etc, you would have to have the exact same version that was installed originally. If you have the correct disc, and have the COA then you can get it activated.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:14 PM

I've had problems activating Dell computers when performing a repair install of XP. I believe that this is because Dell uses their own activation, and the product key inside the OS isn't the same as the sticker on the bottom of the computer. The last 3 times that I've done this I've had to change the product ID to the one on the bottom of the computer before it would activate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users