Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Is Not Responding

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 shortmantuff

shortmantuff

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:17 PM

Whenever I'm loading things (I think this is when it usually happens, or maybe randomly), and I go to lower/increase my sound, it freezes and a message pops up saying "Windows Explorer is Not Responding" I then click "Restart the Program" (One of the options that pops up) and it reloads my taskbar tray but the volume control doesn't appear and it won't let me change the sound setting. I've talked to other forums. I've tested for malware: none. I've ran Event Viewer and the person I talked to said to go to a Vista forum, so if you want me to post that (Event Viewer errors) in here I will. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:24 AM

Please post the errors that are significant to this problem - namely any errors that occur from the time that Windows Explorer freezes until the time that you can verify that the sound doesn't work. We'll need the errors from both the Application and System logs in Event Viewer.

Also, please go to Start and type in "perfmon /report" (without the qoutes) and press Enter. After a minute or so, this'll generate a report on the performance of your system. Please let us know of any errors/problems that are mentioned there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 shortmantuff

shortmantuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:15 AM

How should I copy and post these errors? Can I copy and paste them somehow or just describe them to you?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

It depends on the number of errors. The errors in the Application log file will help to pinpoint the source of the problems with explorer.exe, the errors in the System log may expose other issues and may point to the sound issues.

If you double click on the error you'll get another window which has a "Copy" button in the lower left corner, click on that and then paste it into your next post.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 shortmantuff

shortmantuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:53 PM

Ok, it won't let me double click anything or I can't find it, and whenever I try to copy and paste it just pastes "perfmon /report"

What exactly do I double click?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:08 PM

Oops, we're talking about 2 different things. I was referring to the Event Viewer, and you were referring to the Performance Monitor report.

You'll have to save the Report as an .html file (using the File...Save as menu item), then copy everything down to (and including) the Informational section.

Edited by usasma, 16 October 2008 - 04:28 PM.
previous instructions were not workable

#7 shortmantuff

shortmantuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:16 PM

Event Viewer

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 10/16/2008 5:22:19 PM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Blane-PC
Description:
The program Explorer.EXE version 6.0.6001.18000 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: 9d8 Start Time: 01c92fd343a918f0 Termination Time: 0
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Hang" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-10-16T21:22:19.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>38019</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Blane-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Explorer.EXE</Data>
<Data>6.0.6001.18000</Data>
<Data>9d8</Data>
<Data>01c92fd343a918f0</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Binary>430072006F00730073002D00700072006F00630065007300730000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 10/15/2008 1:54:27 PM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Description:
The program rundll32.exe version 6.0.6000.16386 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: 15f4 Start Time: 01c92eeefafcd774 Termination Time: 37
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Hang" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-10-15T17:54:27.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>37886</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>rundll32.exe</Data>
<Data>6.0.6000.16386</Data>
<Data>15f4</Data>
<Data>01c92eeefafcd774</Data>
<Data>37</Data>
<Binary>430072006F00730073002D00700072006F00630065007300730000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date: 10/16/2008 5:23:09 PM
Event ID: 10010
Task Category: None
Description:
The server {E10F6C3A-F1AE-4ADC-AA9D-2FE65525666E} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">10010</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-10-16T21:23:09.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>171001</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">{E10F6C3A-F1AE-4ADC-AA9D-2FE65525666E}</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

#8 shortmantuff

shortmantuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:28 PM

What exactly is the Informational Section? Is it labeled that or just in general because there is A LOT of stuff in this document.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 05:14 AM

It's labeled as that on the left hand side of the page.
What we're trying to get is the Errors, Warnings, and Informational items from this report
The next section (Basic System Checks) isn't needed right now, but may contain some info that can help)

#10 shortmantuff

shortmantuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

Diagnostic Results

Warnings
Error
Symptom:
Device is not working properly; Windows cannot load the required device drivers.
Cause: A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from working properly.
Details: The device, Microsoft 6to4 Adapter, is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr31". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play ID for this device is 12.
Resolution: 1. Verify the correct driver is installed.
2. Try updating the drivers using Windows Update.
3. Check with the manufacturer for an updated driver.
4. Attempt to uninstall and then reinstall the device using Device Manager.
Related: Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager
Manage Devices in Windows
Symptom:
Device is not working properly; Windows cannot load the required device drivers.
Cause: A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from working properly.
Details: The device, Microsoft 6to4 Adapter, is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr31". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play ID for this device is 16.
Symptom:
Details: The device, Microsoft 6to4 Adapter, is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr31". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\*6TO4MP\0001.
Symptom:
Details: The device, Microsoft 6to4 Adapter, is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr31". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\*6TO4MP\0005.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:03 PM

Go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
In the window that opens, expand the Network Adapters section by clicking on the + sign next to it.
Right click on each instance of the 6to4 adapter and select "Uninstall"
Reboot the computer and see if that has made things better.

#12 shortmantuff

shortmantuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 04:32 PM

Ok, done. I'll give it a few days, unless it freezes again, then I'll let you know. Just wondering...what is it about these that you want me to unistall them?

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:18 PM

The 6to4 adapter converts IPv6 traffic to IPv4 traffic. Most people don't use IPv6, so it's really un-necessary for them. AFAIK, the only built-in app that uses it is the new Windows Meeting Space. I see a lot of problems with it at work, and the fix that we do is just what I've suggested here.

This allows you to keep the IPv6 stuff - but forces it to reinstall the driver that performs this action (there's lot's of other stuff inside the OS that works with this).

Since you've got repeated errors for this adapter, and the troubleshooting steps call for reinstalling the driver (and since it works for us at work) - that's why I suggested it.

#14 shortmantuff

shortmantuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

Ok, thanks. I'll keep you posted on the situation.

#15 shortmantuff

shortmantuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:01 PM

Ok, it froze again. Now when I uninstalled those 6to4 adapters, where they to be completely removed or just reinstalled because when I went back there (after uninstalling them and rebooting) they were still there. It sounds like in your message they were to be reinstalled though, even though you told me to uninstall it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users