Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing New Programs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SamusMcloud

SamusMcloud

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:09 PM

Hello,

I recently installed a new program off the internet. After installing and reinstalling, it wouldn't open. I thought this was the program itself and gave up. Today I installed 2 other programs, and after restarting the computer, found that they do not work either. Could this be some sort of virus or an issue with my computer? When I click to open the program, I get nothing. It doesn't so much as flicker in the task manager. If it helps, I recently installed Itunes, and a program Skinstudio, which is a program to create pc skins to be used in Windowsblinds made by stardock.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:59 PM

What kind download files are these, zip files?

Where are you downloading these to?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 SamusMcloud

SamusMcloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:09 PM

Itunes was from hilehippo, just the installer.. to my desktop, then I installed them to c drive. (main hardrive)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:18 PM

Was that suppose to be filehippo?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:02 PM

Hi SamusMcloud,

If you want to test your theory that the problem might be related to your recent installations of ITunes or SkinStudio, you can take your computer back to a restore point just prior to the installation of SkinStudio and then download and install one of those programs that didn't respond. If your computer still doesn't respond to the new program, you can take it back to the restore point just before you installed ITunes and then try downloading and installing one of the programs that didn't respond after installation and see if it works. If you have your restore points turned on, there should be a restore point just prior to the installation of ITunes and one just prior to SkinStudio. This will tell you if either of these programs caused the problem with your further installations.

If you've never used System Restore, go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore and select Return My Computer to an Earlier Restore Point. Make sure this is checked, then click on Next and you'll see a calendar with highlighted dates. If you click on these different highlighted dates, you'll see a number of them that say system checkpoint. However, if a program was installed, there should be additional entries for the programs that were installed.

I've found System Restore helpful in identifying and getting rid of some problems like the one you're describing.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:34 PM

Zllio, if you are suggesting to use the System Restore to go back before the installation of the ITunes to delete it, the System Restore only works with the files and application that are part of Windows :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 15 October 2008 - 08:41 PM.

#7 SamusMcloud

SamusMcloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:46 PM

@ Zillio, sorry for not making this clear. I downloaded Itunes and the other program and THEY'RE the ones that don't work. I haven't installed anything since.

#8 SamusMcloud

SamusMcloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:26 AM

Does anybody know? :thumbsup:

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

You are saying that you downloaded some programs and they appear not to work.

Any other irregularities detected in your system...since your initial download?

Do your malware-defense programs work? If so, have you done a thorough scan of the system?

Louis

#10 SamusMcloud

SamusMcloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 05:28 PM

Avast! is always scanning.. I turned it to super high.. Thats really all thats been happening. I wouldn't say its anything but the programs but its two right in a row.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 05:57 PM

Well...downloads do get corrupt, at times. Which would render them incapable of working properly.

Have you tried alternate copies of these programs...from other sites?

Louis

#12 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:52 PM

Zllio, if you are suggesting to use the System Restore to go back before the installation of the ITunes to delete it, the System Restore only works with the files and application that are part of Windows :thumbsup:

System Restore removes programs (as opposed to documents, music files, photos, etc.). If you return System Restore to a point prior to when you installed the iTunes program, it will remove iTunes. If you take it back prior to the installation of a program, for instance the yahoo messenger, it will set the registry back to where it was before that program was installed. I use it often to correct problems that come up when a new installation of a program causes some unexpected problem. It's different from uninstalling the program, which can leave traces behind. It's as if the program had never been installed.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:15 PM

Try turning your Avast scanning down to normal levels then try the programs. Maybe Avast is preventing them from starting up, as it flags them as malicious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users