Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Newbie

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 usman3206

usman3206

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:02 PM

HI
I am running a wireless network between 7 friends of mine. We have mobile 3.5G connection which gives us superfast surfing and we are sharing that one connection through a wifi router. This wifi router is security enabled. But we doubt that someother friends of ours have stolen our password and are using our network. We tried changing our password but they somehow get that. Now i would like to authorize only specific IPs so that none other can access our net except assigned IPs. Is it possible to do so?
We have a bandlux R100 wifi router running.
Help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:35 PM

The solution to your problem is something called a MAC Address Filter. In simple terms, every computer's network card has its own unique number on it called a MAC Address. If you go into your router configuration on turn on MAC filtering, and enter only the MAC Addresses of the computers of the friends you want to have access, all other requests from your unwanted friends will be denied (they will not be able to use your internet). However, I would like to give you a further explanation on how to do this but while trying to search for your router, all the results came up in Arabic. I do not know if it is the brand name or what, but if you dont not know how to configure it, post back and I will walk you through it the best I can.
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users