Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nothing is displayed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 im_not_1337

im_not_1337

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:44 PM

Friend dropped me off a pc. It was dead on arrival, wouldn't turn on and nothing would power up. Tried a few things and concluded the power supply was likely dead. I swapped a working power supply and sure enough, the second i pressed the power button it started up, fans started churning, hard drives spinning, the whole deal.

However, nothing was displayed on the screen. I checked the monitor with another computer and it worked just fine. Monitor, cable all work. Everything appeared to be working on this computer, no beeps, all fans churning and sounding good, little motherboard leds on so it is receiving power. Next step i assumed was to swap the video card with one that is confirmed working in another pc. This did nothing. The monitor still displays nothing, just completely black when plugged in. however when i unplug it from the pc it does the "this monitor is working" bouncing thing again. I then tried swapping ram and leaving out all components besides the video card etc. Still nothing, just a black screen using 2 different video cards. Although, one video card has a fan built into the card and the fan churns when plugged into the motherboard. So it appears the card is receiving power and looks like it is working correctly from my indications but nothing is ever displayed on the monitor. Is the motherboard not sending it data? Agp port bad?

Thoughts anyone? Is this a bad motherboard? Bad agp port on the motherboard? A freak, this monitor won't work with this particular computer problem? Any ideas?

Thanksssssssss

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:02 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

It could be any number of things, I've also experienced this...in my case, the CPU was the culprit.

The best that I can suggest is to methodically check everything feasible: No POST - No Video - http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BP...007050376.shtml

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users