Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many Issues with my computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Crimson Faerie

Crimson Faerie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:23 PM

I just got internet (not for the first time) on the eleventh. That very same day, as I tried to set up my Comcast account I got attacked. I was in the process of installing McAfee, rather, I was attempting to install McAfee when my background vanished and was replaced with a blue screen sporting this nifty message "Warning: Spyware threat has been detected on your PC.[/color] [/color][/b]Your computer has several fatal errors due to Spyware activity. It is strongly recommended to install an antispyware software to close all security vulnerabilities. Antispyware software helps protect your PC against spyware and other security threats. UPDATE YOUR ANTISPYWARE PROTECTION" Very informative, considering that's exactly what I was trying to do.
Getting McAfee was an adventure all its own, and is probably how I got infected to begin with. But, I suspect that it had something to do with the Comcast Toolbar, because a message popped up while I was working on the McAfee issue telling me had to download the tool bar right then. It was right after that when everything went down. So, I get the blue background, new slogan, and a little red circle with a white "X" through it on my tool bar, then a bunch of random error messages, black boxes, and a yellow shield with an exclamation point "!" in the middle of it, actually a few of these show up. Now, on my desktop is an icon, looks like a window icon with a nut and bolt named "delself" which is a rather charming name, don't you think?
I continue working on the McAfee issue...I mean, what else am I gonna do? I get a hold of Comcast Support, and start IMing Jeff the online tech guy (who is really nice by the way), and he helps me get McAfee in there. I tell him about my e-mail issue which is: When I logged in I already had spam (keep in mind I haven't even gone to google, let alone visited any websites), the welcome screen at McAfee was calling me by someone else's name, and McAfee had a random password for me, not the one that I signed up with. He told me that it was probably just a recycled e-mail address and not to worry about it.
I also told him about my blue screen/weird message and red circle with white "X". He told me McAfee would clear it right up.
Jeff may have been nice, but he was a LIAR, or lazy, or apathetic...any number of personality disorders that I am not willing to list.
Within hours my computer was bombarded with errors, pop up adds, you name it, weird executions such as (but not limited to) azyfched.exe, xifwpqfi.exe and many many more. I ran McAfee again, and again, and again, each time it came up with more trojans Karna, Brastk keep showing up.
I e-mailed Comcast Support/Abuse with the issue and they told me to download McAfee...which is funny because I mentioned that I had downloaded McAfee and it wasn't working. So, the robots over there were no help.
I have googled the names of some of the weird files, I have gone into safe mode and run scans, my firewall is disabled, I can't get it to come back on, my Task Manager has been disabled, I can't get it to come back. I've gone into msconfig and looked at the startup things, don't know what to disable. Looked at your start up thing, saw Brastk. Looked in my System 32 folder, that's where most of these nasty things are living.
I know this is long, but I'm not sure what you need to know and what you don't need to know. I ran a scan with Uniblue it found 256 errors, it only fixed 15...I can't buy it. When I scan with McAfee it finds the Karna and the Brastk, but wont get rid of it, just tells me to scan again after restart, which I do, only with the same outcome.
I am completely at a loss. Please, please, please help me.

Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:47 PM

Welcome to BC
I'm moving you to Am I Infected
Good luck
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Crimson Faerie

Crimson Faerie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

:thumbsup:
Well...thought I'd update everyone on my issue...I got most of them resolved. Got my firewall, real-time scanner, task manager and all that back. After hours and hours of digging through your file database, uninstall list, start up list and what not. Running McAfee, Avast, Adaware, and others eventually got most of the malware off my computer. I still have some that they just wont find. I know they're malware, but since they don't...guess I just get to live with it.
I'd like to know if I can delete things on my computer, such as delself and azyfched.exe, also lots of copies of text documents in system32 that seem unnecessary to me, but I don't know.
I don't actually expect anyone to respond to this. I don't know what I did wrong, really, was I mean, or something? Do I offend? Why didn't you guys want to help me?
Either way, wish you all well, hope someone throws me a bone.
T.

Posted Image

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:46 PM

This forum is, unfortunately, one of the busy ones and posts can and do get overlooked. I'm sorry for that.

Running McAfee, Avast,

You should not use two anti-virus at the same time it causes too many problems.

azyfched.exe and delself

Indeed you are still infected
I recommend submitting an HJT log. Follow the instructions here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Then submit it the correct forum
The HJT team are very busy, so it might take a while for a response
Good luck
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Crimson Faerie

Crimson Faerie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:07 PM

Thank you very much, I'll do that.

As for McAfee and Avast, I don't run them both at the same time, my room mate did that, and McAfee kept "finding" Avast and vice versa...so I avoid it. I have one doing real time scanning, McAfee, Avast I kept to find whatever Avast missed (quite a bit). Is it a bad idea to even have the two installed at the same time? I'd like to dump Uniblue, too. It seems to just be taking up space.
Anyhow, thanks again.
T.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users