Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get past "We apologize for the inconvenience" screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 proliant

proliant

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

Hi, there, everybody!

I'm having a problem booting up Windows XP.
This particular pc had been running fine for two weeks. This morning, though, it (probably, after restarting itself) displayed a short message on the screen, to the effect of "To reboot, press any key".

I pressed a key and it tried to boot but couldn't detect the boot drive. It stopped at the "Press DEL to enter Setup" stage.
Btw, the Primary controller has got a brand new 160G Maxtor as a master and a DVD-RW as a slave. The Secondary interface's got nothing on it. After switching off and checking the IDE connectors I removed the boot drive and gently tapped it a couple of times, as you do. After re-installing it, I got a message that the S.M.A.R.T. check is BAD and this drive should be backed up and replaced. The boot up process, again, stopped at the initial BIOS screen.

I replaced the seemingly faulty drive with a spare 80G drive that worked perfectly in another pc as a boot drive.

The BIOS detected the drive but it didn't boot off it. Stopped at the 'We apologize for the inconvenience... If a previous startup attempt... choose "Safe Mode" or "Start Windows Normally"'

But the keyboard doesn't respond so I can't choose anything and have to wait til it counts down to 0 and repeats the boot up cycle continuously always ending up on this same screen.

I've removed all peripherals, only the keyboard and the monitor remain.

When I try booting from the original XP cd, the DVD drive spins up and there's a message "Press any key to boot from CD" but again the keyboard doesn't respond. (The keyboard works fine in BIOS) After a short time out it comes back to the 'We apologize for the inconvenience... ' screen!

The DVD drive works in another pc and so does the Windows XP disk.

I've tried blanking the CMOS.

What's interesting is that the same exact thing happened two weeks ago (the computer kept getting to 'We apologize for the inconvenience... ' and rebooting itself) and after several days of pulling my hair out (and various pc cables) I just blamed it on the motherboard and got this new one. (This motherboard is Athlon 3000-based, the old one was Intel)

Now two weeks later - same thing's happening!

Googling doesn't seem to yield much, so I'm kinda stuck.

If anybody has any suggestions, please, I'd love to hear some!

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading and thanks for your suggestions (I hope).

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:57 AM

Hi proliant, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

There is a problem with taking a hdd with Windows installed on it from one computer and insatalling it as a master in another. The registry recognizes IDs that belong to the motherboard's chipset, and when you introduce another motherboard with a different chipset it sees the new IDs plus the old ones and gets confused and can't start. This usually results in needing to reinstall the operating system.

Edited by dc3, 15 October 2008 - 11:57 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:14 PM

I think I'd check the memory by running Memtest, just as a routine measure. RAM would be the common factor regardless of system configuration.

If you have an XP boot CD, I'd try running fixmbr and/or fixboot...with the original drive that belongs in the system.

FWIW: http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/18506/

Louis

#4 proliant

proliant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:15 PM

Thanks dc3

I guess I will have to re-format the hard drive.

Thank you for your quick and helpful reply.

#5 proliant

proliant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:22 PM

Thanks hamluis - in the thread you linked to, someone suggests to boot from a floppy. I'll need to look it up - I've forgotten how to do that, haha. I don't seem to have those tools (fixboot and fixmbr) on my XP cd. Haven't been able to access the CD Drive yet, the keyboard doesn't respond to any input, except going into BIOS.

The original hard drive now gives the following error: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys. You can attempt to repair... by starting Windows Setup using Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first scren to start repair". Then the pc dutifully halts. I'm starting to admire its Zen-like consistency and singularity of purpose.

I'll also check the memory, like you said, just in case.

Thanks.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:55 PM

The rest of that message concerning resolution of your situation can be found at http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000876.htm

Due to the number of different potential causes, several possible attempted solutions are presented.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users