Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Common Client Network Proxy Server

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Barny Rubble

Barny Rubble

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 02:13 PM

I hope I am in the right area here as I believe this is a Norton problem
At random times I get the following message while running M$ internet explorer.
"Common client network proxy server has encountered a problem and needs to close" it then apologizes for the inconvenience. I did have this problem a few months ago and I was directed to uncheck the box that states "Use a proxy server for this connection" (Tools - Internet options - connections - settings) I did this and the problem stopped, but now it is back and the box is still unchecked. I cannot find anything else that seems to sort the problem.

When looking at the information that is sent to Microsoft I have the following information.

Error Signature
SZ APPNAME: CCPROXY.EXE
SZ APPVER: 2.1.6.3
SZ MODNAME: PFMISC.DLL
SZMODVER: 2.0.2.806
OFFSET 0000159b

Files included in the report back to M$

C:\Docume~1\user\locals~1\temp\wer4821.dir00\ccproxy.exe.mdmp
C:\Docume~1\user\locals~1\temp\wer4821.dir00\appcompat.txt

These files I believe are associated with Norton.
If anyone could give me some advice I would be grateful as it is driving me potty because you have to close down after it occurs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 05:30 PM

This does look like its a problem with norton. Are you using norton antivirus? Is it fully updated via live update?

#3 Barny Rubble

Barny Rubble
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 02:39 AM

I am using Norton Internet Security 2004 which was re-subscribed to in December 2004. It has been updated with Live update weekly. I also have Microsoft updates regularly. I am not running any other Internet security apart from XP. I have been on the Symantic site and completed their online assistance and it informs me no problem has been found.
I regularly hear Norton is a pain and something else should be used, I am now starting to believe them. That said I still have 6 months subscription left.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 04:40 PM

Well both of those files are, ccapp and PFMISC.DLL are symantec files. I am not sure what else to tell you other than that a lot of people have had problems with this software. If i was you, i would dump it, install free avg and free zonealarm and be done with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users