Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows vista boot failure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 larryd3loaf3r

larryd3loaf3r

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:47 AM

i hav 2 pc's in my house, 1 my girlfriend bought last year and de 1 im on now
i downloaded n automatic update from windows (service pack 1), n de computer did de normal thing by restarting itself, but halfway trough de start up it went into windows restore mode telling me windows failed, it wont let me into anything wen i press f8(safe mode, n stuff like dat), none of it works, wen it goes into system restore i get a few optionslike restore from a previous restore point r boot from a windows boot dvd r sumtin like dat( il get more info about it later n post if up) dis is really wrecking my head 4 2 days now, n i dont want 2 lose my video's,pics,r music, if any1 can help wit dis problem please send me post back, thanks all

i keep gettin the blue screen of death, its tellin me to go to safe mode(which i cant do!)
it also says:
Technical imformation:

*** STOP: 0x0000c1f5 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
????????????????????wat de hell does dis mean?????????????????????
somebody help me please

Edited by larryd3loaf3r, 15 October 2008 - 10:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:07 AM

Interesting info from Gateway:

(STOP 0x0000C1F5)

This error is not covered in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article, but has been known to occur. Research has shown that the following procedures have been successful in resolving the error. Please follow these steps in the order given, checking after each one to see if the problem reoccurs.

1. Run System File Checker. Perform this procedure only if you can start Windows. If you cannot, go to Procedure 3.

1. Click Start, in Start Search box, type cmd.

2. From Programs list above, right-click cmd.exe, then select Run as administrator.

3. At UAC screen, enter administrator password or click continue.

4. At prompt, type sfc /scannow.

5. System File Checker starts running. Time required to run is dependant on size of drive and amount of files.

6. When completed, type: Exit at prompt, then press Enter.

7. The CMD.exe dialog box closes, restart computer.

2. Run Bootrec.exe /FixMbr. To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start WinRE. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Place the Windows Vista installation disk in the optical drive, then restart the computer.

2. When prompted, press a key to boot from the DVD.

3. Select a language, time and currency, a keyboard or input method (if necessary), then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system to repair, then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. At prompt, type bootrec /fixmbr, then press ENTER.

8. Restart computer.

3. For desktop computers, open the case and reseat hard drive cables and memory. For notebook computers, reseat the hard drive and memory. Refer to the instructions in the User's Guide.

Edited by garmanma, 17 October 2008 - 01:11 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:15 PM

Do you have a Windows Vista disk or are the recover disk from the computer manufacturer?
You can try to run sfc /scannow from the i386 folder, described here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#4 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:34 AM

You need run Repair from your Vista DVD...(Repair is System File Checker)

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:01 PM

From a PM

can u tell me how to restore it from de partition
dis is really doin my head in!
who can i blame? microsoft! 4 der service pack? r meself 4 downloadin it?
de missus is goin mad its her daughters
any way jus 2 get it back up n runnin will do now
can i get like a recovery program 4 de pics afterwards?
i thought i read sumtin like dat(il look in2 dat 2)
thanks again 4 ur time

Do you have the discs that came with the computer?
What is the make and model of the computer?
Mark
Posted Image

#6 larryd3loaf3r

larryd3loaf3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:47 PM

ALL FIXED

turns out de warranty wasnt up on our dell dimension & an engineer came out wit a bran new harddrive

pitty we lost all of our pic's n video's

thanx 4 ur help(u no who!!)

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:28 PM

Glad you got it fixed. Too bad you lost your stuff, but now you know how important it is to back things up.
We all have the best intentions of doing so but don't, myself included 1/2 the time
Mark
Posted Image

#8 mellon

mellon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:11 PM

Garmanma, you are the BEST! I had exactly the same problem, and I followed your instructions on the Vista disk. Everything is back and running perfectly. I have a Gateway M-Series lap top, and without thinking about it, I automatically downloaded the Service Pack when prompted. It would not start up after that, and I kept getting a screen that counted down from 30 seconds repeatedly. When I tried the second option - start Windows normally - it would just go back to the first screen and continue to repeatedly count down from 30 seconds.
The Vista operating disk was the only answer.
Thank you!
mellon :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users