Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

What is a Paradox?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:24 AM

I think this should be Discussed? Most Pollies us them to get their way, and others use them to Support them?

Links to Paradox?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/paradox

Would this describe Modern Pollies?

Your Call?

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:05 AM

Well this is a Good one, I do think modern Politicians use some Paradoxs to confuse us or make something sound good and people only take that point Good or Bad while they don't look into it, somethings they say contradict themselves referring to the Paradox and don't actually make sense how they will make it work or if it is possible.

I have always considered Politicians to be ******* but I wouldn't want to waste my Vote so will look at the Parties here and see who is telling the Truth the most and vote for them when our Election comes around, using Common Sense and thinking about what they say goes along way to seeing whether they are going to be a Good or Bad Government and actually questioning the Paradoxs they say thinking what the Truth is if any.

#3 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:17 AM

Well no wonder I cannot make sense of politicians. It isn't me after all. What a relief.

Over the years I try not to listen too close to what they say. I tend to go by how I "feel", which is mainly intuition.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:04 AM

In Shakespeare's Words is a great Paradox. "To be or not to be, that is the Question"

Both are True, but contradict each other!

A Classic Paradox regarding politics is this one, from my Link, many more hidden in that Link.

Patrick Hughes outlines three laws of the paradox:

Self reference - so all Cretans are liars, said the Cretan, is self referential, because the Cretan describes all Cretans;

Contradiction - so all Cretans are liars, said the Cretan, is a contradictory because the Cretan is saying that Cretans are liars

Vicious circularity or infinite regress - so if all Cretans are liars, and the Cretan told us so, then it cannot be true, but if it is not true that Cretans are liars, then the statement stands, but then it is true that all Cretans are liars, so it must be a lie... and so on ad infinitum

[2] Or...If the Cretan is indeed a liar like he is claiming, despite him being a liar, then not all Cretans are liars, simply the Cretan is indeed a liar but not ALL Cretans are liars.

Just substitute any Political Party for Cretan, no matter what Country in the World?

:flowers:

#5 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:57 AM

That is Good, I had to read it a Second time before it sank in :thumbsup:

Oh also for people who don't now what Cretan refers to

Cretan - Refers to people from the Island of Crete which is owned by Greece, they normally like to be referred as Greeks but sometimes Cretan is used.

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:19 PM

That is Good, I had to read it a Second time before it sank in :flowers:

Oh also for people who don't now what Cretan refers to

Cretan - Refers to people from the Island of Crete which is owned by Greece, they normally like to be referred as Greeks but sometimes Cretan is used.

Also a Vuniable Part of the Area as Proven by Wars!

Yet it still Applies to Today!

#7 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:23 PM

Sometimes we forget the Parodox?

I am an Invader to Liberate you?

Edit. That cost America 3 Trillion Dollars? God knows what it cost the Rest of the World?

Just because everyone ignored the Obvious Parodox!

Think about it?

Edited by Abacus 7, 17 October 2008 - 01:01 PM.

#8 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:28 AM

It took me years to understand the meaning of word, "oxymoron" (a self-contradicting term). Then Reagan was elected President of the U.S., after doing much damage to the State of California.

Our last election was full of oxymorons. Also politicians describing what was needed in the position of the Presidency. Much of the time, the qualities they were describing belonged more to their opponents than to themselves. And I had to wonder--are these folks delusional, are they liars? Some people are actually both, actually choosing to lie both to themselves (unconsciously) and to others (consciously).

I think we can come up with a new definition for oxymoron, for use on the internet: A person who engages in self-contradictory statements and behaviors, whether through wilful blindness or sheer hypocrisy.

We can call them oxy-morons, to distinguish from the term derived from logic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users