Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

90 processes running.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JetSnake

JetSnake

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:55 AM

I have 90 processes running when I go into task manager. This seems to be slowing my computer down. Where do I go to turn some of these off? I can't imagine I need all these running. I wish I knew more about computers, but with a little help, I think I can do it. Let me know if you need more info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:00 AM

It depends on what they are. First you need to identify the processes and understand what each of them do.Usually taking the time to google each one to see if they're needed. Black Viper's site is a good one to look at:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm
Just be sure to follow his "SAFE" recommendations. Even then be cautious
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:00 PM

I have 90 processes running when I go into task manager. This seems to be slowing my computer down. ...

garmanma gave good advice. Here's another resource:
Vista Services Explained

Also it may seen a bit laborious but it might be a good idea to create a text file to log all the changes you make. Maybe something in Documents folder so you can find it easily. Make one change at a time and if things go south then it's usually the last thing you changed. You can look in your log and see what the previous state was and how you altered it to back it off and reboot. Also the more Restore Points and system snapshots you have to back you up the better. Esp. Vista is a lot trickier than XP so getting by with just Restore Points is counting on luck. Better to shell out $50 for a good image backup software and get an external drive to save your system state. If it won't boot, you can boot the image restore CD that should come with your system snapshot program and restore from the backup. The kind you want is the type that saves all your programs and restores your PC to the state it was in when you made the backup. IOW, you don't have to reinstall all your programs like you do when you do an ordinary system reinstall.

I've been using Paragon Drive Backup Personal edition myself but there are a few reliable system backup utilities out there that you should be able to buy for $50 or less.

Google around, go to the support forum for each product and see which has the fewest customers left hanging with unusable systems!! Also try to look for people with hardware setups as close as possible to what you have. If it works great on their machines the chances are much better it won't break yours.

Edited by MilesAhead, 15 October 2008 - 07:03 PM.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#4 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:30 PM

I agree very strongly with MilesAhead. Garman put up a great link too.

Vista is pretty tempermental. I'd say that tweaking and optimizing Vista takes time and patience and some sacrifices, but it's worth it if you can't or prefer not to downgrade to XP.

Some other things you may likely want to disable:

* Virtual RAM (if you have enough physical RAM; I have 3GB RAM so I turned off Virtual RAM and it's just fine).
* Restore points and disk shadowing if you have a drive/partition backup program onto other mediea
* Disk indexing (for each disk). You can still search for files without indexing, but it takes longer. Luckily there are other freeware programs for searching the hard drive. No need to have windows doing it constantly in the background.
* File compression

* PreFetch and SuperFetch: This is pretty controversial and hotly debated, but I disabled both and it helped make my system more quiet at least. I think it also made the system more stable. I don't believe that Windows can accurately predict what programs I'm going to run next so I don't even allow it to try and guess and preload anything. Windows can't see into the future and it's foolish to give the system power as if it could when I need that power as a user.

Check out what's going on in the Task Scheduler too. There's a lot of stuff in there, and some of it isn't needed. You can also modify alot of stuff to accommodate your needs. But tread with care.
Defragment manually on a regular schedule after you clear temporary files and web caches each time. You'll probably want to disable automatic disk defragging and just do it when you feel like it, or reschedule it for a time more convenient to you than what Vista chooses. JKdefrag and WinContig are a winning freeware combo for defragging Vista.

Meanwhile, be sure to enable all of the performance/speed settings for all of your drives except maybe flash drives.

#5 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

afa Superfetch goes I first tried disabling it. I noticed my boots were slow. So I set it back to automatic but made an alias to shut it off when I was done booting. Then I found this nice compromise that allows me to leave it on automatic running and not bother with it. It only caches boot files:

Superfetch only boot files

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#6 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:50 PM

Thanks Miles that's cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users