Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sending 'GIF' with Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:32 AM

I have been trying to send a 'GIF' that is animated in a Outlook 2003 Email and it does not seem possible. Is there a trick to it? Or is there a process that I am missing here?
Or is there an article that I should be reading re 'application of 'GIF'?
Comments would be appreciated. Thank you.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:24 AM

One basic problem with trying to do anything "fancy" in an e-mail (i.e., anything other than plain, simple text) is that you have absolutely no control over the program that the recipient uses to view the e-mail. They could be using Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007, Outlook Express, the Gmail Web-based interface, the unique Web-based interface provided by a particular ISP (Internet Service Provider), etc. Each of these programs typically handles the "fancy" things (e.g., embedded images, stationery, etc.) in a slightly different way.

Additionally, the options that the recipient uses in viewing their e-mails (e.g., plain-text display rather than HTML display) affects the appearance of that e-mail on the receiving end. That is, what you see when you send the e-mail is not necessarily exactly the same thing the recipient will see when they receive and view your e-mail.

Below are some links about animated GIF files in e-mails:

"Add an animated graphic to your Outlook message" (Outlook 2003):

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/...=CH063565631033

"My animated GIF won't play" (Outlook 2007):

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/...1496781033.aspx

"Gif Images Not Animated" (Outlook 2007):

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=636665

Even seemingly simple links in e-mail can cause problems. Again, this is usually due to the program that the recipient is using to view the e-mail, and the settings of certain options in that e-mail program.

Below are some links about active/inactive links in e-mails:

"Links in HotMail emails: why aren't they active?":

http://ask-leo.com/links_in_hotmail_emails...hey_active.html

"active email links in emails...":

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...p;sk=t&sd=a

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:56 AM

It may help us if you were to clarify what you mean by "it is not possible." If you could tells us how you were attempting to send the .gif file, its size, and how far in the process you got before you saw an error message, this would help identify the kind of problem you are having.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:05 AM

The size of the gif. is 14.5 kb and it is when I attach it to the email that it does not animate and the receiver gets it and it also does not animate?
I hope that this information is useful.
Thank you for your time and interest.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:25 AM

Are you reducing the size of the Gif, to send? I have found, if it's not kept to it's original size, then it won't animate. :thumbsup:

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:03 AM

Hi georgia.
In Outlook click Help>Microsoft Office Outlook Help. Use "animation" as search criteria. Might be surprised what you find in there. :thumbsup: I don't normally suggest an applications help section because normally there isn't much. But with office, it's very very good. All of the every day stuff can be answered there.
As M... has also suggested, your recipient may not even see it anyway, depending on their mail setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users