Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vanishing HD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 algoa

algoa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:16 AM

I had 2HDs on my machine 1 vista 1 XP not dual boot but independent selecting from boot option in bios.
When I replaced my MB with a Gigabyte X38 both my drives were unbootable and repair would not work. Any ideas?
I then added another HD and re-loaded everything. Now every so often my computer locks or reboots. In the bios my new HD (c:) is missing can only returns when turning computer off and on. A reboot does not find it.
Please advise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:14 AM

Hi Algoa, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

The registry recognizes certain IDs from the chipset of the motherboard, and when you changed the motherboard you introduced another chipset which means another set of IDs, and this confuses the operating system and usually requires a fresh installation of the operating system.

Do have only the one hdd in the computer now?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 algoa

algoa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:48 AM

Thanks dc3 It explains re-installing. 4hdd.

Any ideas on vanishing hd

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:39 AM

Have you checked the connections on the hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users