Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Restore My Files !

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Crypttion

Crypttion

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:36 PM

I have Windows XP, had MS AV Security on my computer, it messed up things pretty bad. I used PC recovery so as not to lose my files, after recovery I downloaded Malware Bytes, ran it and got rid of AV Security. As Malware Bytes was running, I noticed certain files of mine on the list as it was scanning my hard drive. So I know my files are still intact. When using the backup/restore utility that comes with Windows XP, none of my files or folders are listed in order to highlight and restore it. When Malware Bytes was running I took note on where my files are located, C:\UserData\Desktop\MyDownloads\etc\etc. When gettng to the User Data folder, I get a window that says "C:\UserData is not accessible . Access is denied." When using the Restore utility, I can open the UserData folder and open it's subfolders, where my files are supposed to be, but when I open the subfolders there are no files for me to check on in order for me to highlight and restore with the utility. I know these files exist because the amount of space on my hard drive is the same as before the PC Recovery. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get in order to restore my files as some of them have some sentimental value, pictures, all of my music, etc. Thank You, and Aloha ! Crypttion :thumbsup:

HP Pavilion a1606n
200 GB Hard Drive
Intel Pentium D Processor 805
2.67 GHz, 0.99 GB of Ram
Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002 Service Pack 2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:01 AM

can you do a system restore
go back as far as you can

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:09 AM

You can probably also access that and other troublesome folders...by taking ownership of them.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#4 Crypttion

Crypttion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:30 PM

:thumbsup: Hey guys ! Thank you for your help ! I have tried hamluis's suggestion and have successfully retrieved my files from the folder ! I guess when I did the recovery, the name of ownership changed and locked me out. A lesson learned ! Thank you to all ! Aloha !!! Again, thank you hamluis ! :flowers:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:50 PM

You are welcome, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:02 PM

Just FYI - when you have files on the NTFS file system, each of them has an owner and a list of accounts that are allowed to access them.
If you switch to another computer (or a fresh install on the old one), the Security Identifier Descriptor changes (SID for short) - even if everything else is the same.

It's the SID that prevents your from accessing them - but administrators have the ability to change the owner, and this fixes the access denided error.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users