Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Particularly Nasty Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 900cows

900cows

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:55 PM

I have one of those problems which gets worse everytime you try to fix it. It began, If I remember correctly, with being unable to install SP3. The automatic update downloaded it and although I don't remember exactly how or why i could not install it. I sort of forgot about it-which may be either a symptom of a problem or the reason the problem occured. Later the little red security icon with the cross appeared in the tray to tell me automatic updates were not on and recommended I switch them on. I tried to, but a little box came up saying "the application failed to initialize propery" and something else as well. Later when I tried to log in a very similar little box came up with the same "the application failed to initialize propery" message along with the term "userinit.exe" I searched for that and found a thread in this site which gave the instruction to use the taskmgr to launch all the icons so I could repair the computer further. I did this and it worked once but as I was running a virus scan the PC froze forcing a restart and after that the taskmgr would no longer open. Please help I have no clue where to begin.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 900cows

900cows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:02 PM

Some more information:

The first time I could not log in the box came up twice and then (after a longer than normal time) the desktop appeared with no icons which never loaded. Taskmgr would function which allowed further actions to make the icons appear.

After using the taskmgr and logging in again the 2 boxs no longer appeared. The desktop appeared with no icons and now taskmgr will no longer open.

To find the thread with a very similar problems which I followed google search :emu5088 XP almost taskbar icons probably virus hi userinit.exe fix keyboards application obviously john

Look at post 8. This worked once but no longer does.

Thanks very much.

#3 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:53 PM

try this

last known cofiguration

turn computer off turn it back on

immediately tap F8

until safemode options show

use arrow key up arrow

choose last known good configuration

press enter

see if that helps

Edited by mme, 14 October 2008 - 10:54 PM.

#4 900cows

900cows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:54 AM

Cool thanks alot. That moved the problem back one step. Now when I tried to log in a got the two windows and was able to open tskmgr. I will see if I can fix the problem now and possibly post here again if I have problems. :thumbsup:

#5 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:31 PM

In Task manager
click file new task(run)
type in exploer.exe
see if icons appear on desk top
how do you get 2 windows