Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Satellite A105 S2101

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 crazy4offroad

crazy4offroad

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:26 PM

Hi guys/gals, new poster here at BleepingComputer, but not a newb to PCs! :thumbsup:

My quandry:
A customer brought me their Toshiba Satellite A105 S2101 that had been giving the "Missing NTLDR" error we've all come to know and love in XP. She inserted the Toshiba Recovery CD but "couldn't get it to go" whatever that means. Well now at boot the screen has a couple lines across the screen, no text, and hitting F1, F8, or F12 results in a kind of faded white strip about 4" wide down the middle of the screen with a red border, like it is trying to display an error or some other message. Hitting Enter 3 or 4 times shuts the laptop down and nothing else seems to work.

My question(s):
Has anyone ran into this issue before? Is it BIOS, mainboard or graphics adapter-related? Or is the graphics built-in to the mainboard? Is a BIOS chip replaceable on this unit? Where is a good resource for parts for these lappies?

Thanks in advance for your help, this appears to be a very active, informative place! Glad I found it! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:00 PM

Being as this is a customer of yours, do we get some of the financial compensation if we help you? :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 crazy4offroad

crazy4offroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:36 AM

:thumbsup: Ummm. No. If I can't fix it I don't charge them, and my rates are so low I would just as soon let it go and take on the next one, than send you a couple bucks for a few words that I may or may not already know. I'm thinking it is a corrupt BIOS, since she said it was working last time she booted it, till she did the Recovery CD thing. But if someone would like to inform me if the BIOS chip is replaceable, sorry, I still wont pay you! :trumpet: :flowers:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:30 AM

Actually, I'm not interested in your money, it's just that we do get the occasional member that uses us to solve their problems. The occasional one is fine, but it gets annoying to have a member making money off of our advice here.

Her statement that she couldn't get it to go sound like she may need to go into the BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order. The other problem does sound like it could be related to the graphics, without the make and model I don't know whether this is a card or onboard.

Can you get into the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 crazy4offroad

crazy4offroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:23 AM

I understand, if it was something I was completely stumped on, couldn't get anything from google about and got breakthrough information (like 'hold this key, hit that key and voila!'), I would definately hit someone's paypal, I can be a generous guy. :thumbsup:

Completely unable to get into BIOS, the garbled screen is persistent from the start. I tried hooking up a monitor to the video-out, which blacked out the laptop's LCD but nothing came up on the other monitor. BTW this is on a Toshiba Satellite A105-S2101 PSAA5U-01300Q. I think I found a replacement mainboard for under $300 but can't tell from the pics if it has onboard graphics, or a replaceable BIOS chip. Probably a big 'No' on both those points. Given the cost of the parts and what I would charge I don't think this lady will want to pay. :flowers: Thanx for your help anyway.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

I would suspect the video chip, not the BIOS. If you can, I'd also try a remote monitor
A lot of lappy parts I buy come from eBay. The Stores not individual sellers. It depends on the part
I believe the BIOS chip is soldered onto the system board
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 crazy4offroad

crazy4offroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:56 AM

...I tried hooking up a monitor to the video-out, which blacked out the laptop's LCD but nothing came up on the other monitor.

Thanks anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users