Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access external HD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 scubab

scubab

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:53 PM

I'm having an issue accessing my external HD. If I go to My Computer and click on it, it does absolutely nothing. If I right click and go to Open I get "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I've rebooted as well as disconnected the HDDs power supply and USB cable.
However, if I got to Run and type K: it will open it just fine.
I use it as storage for backing up media and I can back everything up just fine when I select it from my programs 'Copy to' source.

Things to know:
Running Vista
I am the administrator
I have not changed any security settings
I recently had a resycled/autoboot trojan (on this drive) that I removed with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware...I'm not sure if this issue started before or after the removal, but I do know it was working fine when I was first infected with the Trojan (had it for about a week or two)

Edited by scubab, 14 October 2008 - 08:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:43 PM

Bumping to see if anyone who could help maybe overlooked this!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:08 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

You mean...that's the only problem that you are aware of on your system...that might be the result of your malware flirtation?

Done any online scans for malware?

Louis

#4 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:22 AM

I have scanned and found the infections and successfully removed them from my system as well as the resycled/autoboot that was on my external.
The issue doesn't seem related to a virus or anything of the like, but I could be totally wrong considering my expertise in viruses is minimal!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:57 PM

Well...I don't know what to say...other than the fact that removal of infected files...does not necessarily remove the damage they have done to other files in the system.

If you think it does, you are entitled to do so.

But, if my system acted like yours seems to act...after a known infection...I think I'd post in the section of this website that deals with malware.

One of the common effects of some malware items...involves a change of permissions on a system.

FWIW (ignore the advertising): http://www.wiki-security.com/wiki/Parasite_Category/Malware/

Louis

#6 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:59 PM

I'm not saying that the malware didn't cause the issue or isn't causing the issue, I was just stating that it didn't seem to be the reason since I know it was working fine initially upon infection. I know malware can have a death over time effect, so I wouldn't be the tad bit surprised if my assumptions were wrong.

If the trojan indeed did change the permission how would I go about getting the permissions changed back without formatting the HDD, if possible?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:28 PM

Well...you can change individual permissions in XP Home...by using something called the Security Tab.

How Do I See the Security tab in XP Home (Doug Knox) - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

The problem that I see with taking that approach in your situation...you don't know the extent of permissions which require changing and if you change them file-by-file, it could take you awhile. But I suppose that can be minimized by dealing with the Security Tab for an entire drive or partition.

In any case, before you start playing with the Security Tab, make sure that you have a basic understanding of permissions and how they work (use Google).

Louis

#8 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:23 AM

Aye, as stated in the OP I'm running Windows Vista...the security king : /

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:51 PM

Sorry for my failure to read all :thumbsup:. I don't know anything about Vista'a quirks.

You may want to post in the Vista forum at this website, while also leaving your post here open.

Double your chances, double your fun...:huh:.

Louis

#10 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:17 AM

Heh, thanks Louis...I'll head that way!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users