Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Iomega External 250GB Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:53 PM

I have had my pc since 2003 or 2004. I love it. It is a Dell Dimension 8300. The hard drive is only 80GB, so I purchased an external hard drive for back up and storage of music and photos. I have always had Iomega Zip Drives, so I chose an Iomega USB External Hard Drive.

That was in 2004.

Two weeks ago, the external hard drive stopped being recognized. When it starts, I can hear a sound that makes me think it is attempting to read the hard drive.

I have attached it to two other computers, but despite it being powered on (blue light and sound of fan), the hard drive will not be recognized.

Any suggestions?

Yes, the two computers are newer than my Dell. Also, the external hard drive was used as a second hard drive for installation of several software; such as Microsoft Office. (You can imagine what this has done to my pc's boot sequence.)

Thanks for any help on how to recover the data.

Cass

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:01 AM

When it starts, I can hear a sound that makes me think it is attempting to read the hard drive.

Is the sound you hear a clicking sound?

What is the make/model no of your drive?

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 PCideasOakwood

PCideasOakwood

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:24 AM

If the drive isn't recognised in My Computer, try right-clicking on My Computer, select Manage, goto Disk Management & check if it's listed there. If so, data might be able to be recovered from it as it may be the MFT/Boot Partition has been corrupted. If not, more than likely the drivehead has failed. Therefore would need a patten-scan to recover the data.

#4 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:48 PM

When it starts, I can hear a sound that makes me think it is attempting to read the hard drive.

Is the sound you hear a clicking sound? No. The sound is hard to describe. It is like an extremely short whir.

What is the make/model no of your drive? Iomega 250GB USB External Hard Drive with a power supply. I don't think there is a model number.

E-Mu

Disk Management does not list the drive. I'm so upset. I had everything on that drive. Now, I can't uninstall programs because that drive is missing.

I will call the local computer repair shop and ask one of the techs to see if a data recovery can be done.

Thank you all for all your assistance.

Edited by Cassiopeia, 15 October 2008 - 12:52 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:01 PM

Before I spent any time and money unnecessarily...I'd take that drive out of the enclosure and see if it works properly when directly attached to a system via the motherboard.

If it does, the enclosure is the problem...not the drive.

Louis

#6 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:00 AM

Before I spent any time and money unnecessarily...I'd take that drive out of the enclosure and see if it works properly when directly attached to a system via the motherboard.

If it does, the enclosure is the problem...not the drive.

Louis

Hi, again. I removed the enclosure: not an easy task. Because the fan would run when the drive started, it was hard to tell if the drive itself was starting. I connected it as an internal second hard drive to my dell pc. I can feel and hear the drive rev up, but that is all. Occasionally, there will be a sound as though it is attempting to read the drive. The pc still does not recognise the Iomega hard drive.

Edited by Cassiopeia, 20 October 2008 - 11:01 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:49 AM

OK.

Before I pronounced it dead...I would run chkdsk /r on it while it is attached to the system internally...and I would follow that up with a diagnostic from the website of the drive manufacturer.

Most would probably skip the chkdsk /r and just go to the diagnostic.

Rather than going by feel...the key questions I would want answered are

a. Does the drive appear properly in the BIOS when connected directly to motherboard?

b. Does the drive appear within My Computer...and Disk Management...when connected directly to motherboard? Disk Management is a better indicator than My Computer.

Louis

#8 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:40 PM

Would you happen to know if I need to change the jumpers on the iomega drive? I had to move them to get the pc to boot. If I left them in their original positions, the pc would tell me it could not find drive 0 and to press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup. (I'll try it again to read the whole error message.) In the interim, I will check Iomega's site to see about the jumpers and diagnostics.

Thanks

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:55 PM

Iomega doesn't make hard drives, as far as I know.

An external hard drive is nothing but a USB enclosure with a hard drive made by a known hard drive manufacturer (Hitachi, Western Digital, Seagate, etc.) inside.

As for jumpers...yes, you may need to change those anytime you change the location or position of a hard drive connection. Jumper settings appropriate to position are usually printed on the top of the hard drive.

http://www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/2579-001037.pdf

Louis

#10 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:37 PM

This is an Iomega External Hard Drive connected by USB. However, I removed the case and the manufacturer of the hard drive is Hitachi.

I can't get the pc to boot at all if the second hard drive is attached. I changed the jumpers to each one listed (there are twenty positions), but the pc still will not boot. The error reads that primary 0 cannot be found. If I do not have the second hard drive connected, the pc boots without problem.

I just want the data and software from the second hard drive. I bought it because I feared my pc's hard drive would fail because it is only 80 GB.

Why did I trust Iomega?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:27 PM

Look on the Hitachi drive...what is the complete model description?

Here are all the jumper settings for Hitachi drives...I will tell you which one you need if you give me the right info.

http://hitachigst.com/hdd/support/jumpers.htm

We need to find out if this drive works.

Louis

#12 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:56 PM

I forgot to mention that I have to use dial-up to access the forums. I will go to my in-laws' and use their dsl to download the information. I just moved to Florida and don't have the deposits for all the "utilities".

Thank you, Louis, for all your assistance.

#13 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

Well, no matter where the jumpers are placed, the pc will not boot. I get the error that primary 0 drive cannot be found. I even spent time to find the settings for my primary Seagate drive. (The jumper on that drive was not even on the correct pegs for any option.)

Is there something in the F2 utility I need to change for the pc to recognize the drives?

I placed the jumpers so Seagate was master and Hitachi was slave. No boot.

I placed the jumpers so Seagate was master with non-ATA drive and Hitachi as slave. No boot.

I placed the jumpers so Seagate and Hitachi were Cable Select. No boot.

I can hear the drive starting to read. You know the scritch-scritch sound?

I get my compensation on the first, so if needed, I will bring it to the local computer repair shop. I would prefer to fix it myself.

Thanks.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:46 PM

In order to install the two hdds on a IDE cable one must be the master and connected to the end connector, the second as a salve and connected to the middle connector. The jumper on the rear of the drives must be set to reflect the perspective position of either master or slave. This tutorial will explain this in detail with pictures so that you will be sure to recognize what is being explained.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:55 PM

Thanks. I set up the master on the correct connector and the slave on its correct connector. I will look at the tutorial and see if I messed up on something.

Well, I read the tutorial. It's exactly how I proceeded. (For me, that's amazing that i correctly did it.)

I'll just bring the Hitachi hard drive to the computer repair shop in Dunnellon.

Thanks for everything.

Cass

Edited by Cassiopeia, 24 October 2008 - 05:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users