Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window Vista Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 pocoloo

pocoloo

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:06 PM

Vista was just installed and using it with the internet is a nightmare. Whenever I log on to the internet, it takes a while for the page to open up and then suddenly it just freezes.

Once the page is frozen I am only able to use the curser to scroll the page up and down but cannot perform any other tasks including shut down, this has to be done manually.

Please help!
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

What are your system specifications (CPU, RAM, etc)?
How did you install Vista?
Did you check to see if the proper drivers were installed in Device Manager?
Could this be a malware infection?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 pocoloo

pocoloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:33 PM

The program was install at a computer repair shop, I also forgot to mention that extra memory was added.

Where do I go to find system specifications (CPU, RAM, etc)?

Edited by pocoloo, 14 October 2008 - 02:35 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:20 PM

Press the Windows key and the Pause/Break key at the same time.
Get the Processor, Memory, and system type from there.

Have you checked for malware (viruses/spyware)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 pocoloo

pocoloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:08 PM

The info you requested is

AMD Athlon (m)
Processor
120 GHZ
376 MB of RAM

WINDOWS XP Version 2008
Service Pack 3

I have a active virus protection program, but I will do a virus scan.

Thanks.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:08 PM

I'm a bit confused - you said that Vista was installed, but the info that you've provided in your last post says Windows XP

#7 pocoloo

pocoloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:16 PM

The info I typed came from the computer, the tech told me it was vista, I had XP before and what I am using now does not look like XP, everything is different!

I tried to contact him, he is away on business, I am really stumped! I checked for spyword/virus but everything is clean and the mouse continues to freeze.

I also tried to install my printer, but it just would not load, the computer say the software cannot be found even though I have a disk!

I am stumped with the system.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:55 PM

There are theme packs that can be installed to make XP look like Vista. But if the tech charged you for Vista, then you should have Vista.
What you typed says that you have XP - not Vista.

The final test would be to open a command prompt and type in "ver" (without the quotes) and press Enter. A version starting with 5 is XP, and a version starting with 6 is Vista. My XP SP3 says "Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]" and my Vista SP1 says ":Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]"

To get to a command prompt in XP, you go to Start...Run...and type in "cmd" (without the quotes) and press Enter
To get to a command prompt in Vista, you go to Start and type in "cmd" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Then type in "ver" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Let us know what it tells you.

#9 pocoloo

pocoloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:16 PM

OK that clears it up, it is XP not vista.
It says XP 5.1 2600.

Thanks for clearing that up, where do I go from here???

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:21 AM

?Legal action against the person who sold you Vista and didn't deliver? I'll move this over to the XP forums also.

Aside from that, I'd suggest more memory for your system. The bare minimum for XP useablility has creeped up over the years, and now stands at about 512 mB (depends on what programs you run) - but the sweet spot is rapidly approaching 2 gB of RAM (this depends on what your system is capable of using).

To find out what your system can use, visit http://www.crucial.com and enter your system info in the boxes provided.
You can weed out your startups and running services (to get some improvement), but IMO the system will still be slow.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:32 AM

Hmmm...for some time, I ran XP fine with 384GB of RAM (just wanted to see how it would do) on a system that is fairly close to the one you describe. It wasn't lightning fast...but it wasn't extraordinarily slow either.

The only references I find to a Windows XP 2008...are all references to an illegal torrent version.

That might account for your present problems.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%...amp;btnG=Search

Louis

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:15 AM

Nice catch hamluis!

I would suggest that you contact the person who sold you this and insist on getting your money back.
Then invest that money in a legal version of XP - we'll be glad to help with that.

Meanwhile, since the forum rules prohibit assisting with illegal software, I'm closing this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users