Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google banned my IP address

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mesmerized

Mesmerized

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:14 AM

Hello everyone,

For some mysterious reason, Google is preventing me from accessing the search engine, my gmail, my bookmarks, my web history ... I keep getting the famous "403 error" telling me that my query seems like one that is coming from an automated machine. I did all the steps suggested to resolve the problem including examining my PC for spyware, virus and malware. Everything is clean. I am very cautious in this regard: I never download anything from the Net, I use No-Script, Ad-Block, WOT and McAfee Site Advisor with my browser for safe browsing experience. If there is an undetectable malware in my machine, I wonder how I got it since I haven't installed or downloaded anything recently!!!

My question is: how do I convince the stubborn Mr. Google that I am one of the "Good Guys" and that my machine is not a menace to other users safety :thumbsup: ?

I just want to resume my normal browsing activity.

Sorry: address in the title (double d)

Edited by Mesmerized, 14 October 2008 - 10:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mesmerized

Mesmerized
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:19 AM

I forgot to mention that I ran Symantec AntiVirus, Spybot and SuperAntiSpyware to check my machine after installing the relevant latest updates.

Edited by Mesmerized, 14 October 2008 - 10:27 AM.

#3 Mesmerized

Mesmerized
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:53 AM

I am sorry for disturbing everyone, but I am able to use Google again. The error message just disappeared, permanently I hope.

Cheers

Edited by Mesmerized, 14 October 2008 - 10:28 AM.

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for informing us.
Too bad 'we' don't know the cause/reason.
Apparently some step you took solved your problem?

//I edited the title
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 Mesmerized

Mesmerized
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:36 AM

I honestly can't say I do. Google database suggested that the problem might be related to meta search engines that were trying to connect to Google so I've disabled the Surf Canyon add-on and Google Preview (just in case) that I use with my browser. However, the problem persisted even after I've scanned my computer for infections. After that, I closed the browser, disconnected from the Net and tried to access Google a couple of hours later and the error was gone. Does this mean that I've solved the problem permanently, I don't know!

And now that you've mentioned it, I think that I've figured it out. The only change done to my system is enabling the Hi-jack protection that comes along with SuperAntiSpyware software. It keeps my home page from being changed. I think this is why I've been getting the error message. Everything started working fine after I disabled the Hi-Jack protection.

------------

Thanks for changing the title.

Edited by Mesmerized, 14 October 2008 - 10:51 PM.

#6 Mesmerized

Mesmerized
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:37 AM

Hello,

I am receiving the 403 message again when I try to open a google cached page though I am able to use google (as a search engine) normally.

We're sorry...

... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.

If you're continually receiving this error, you may be able to resolve the problem by deleting your Google cookie and revisiting Google. For browser-specific instructions, please consult your browser's online support center.

If your entire network is affected, more information is available in the Google Web Search Help Center.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.

I've scanned my computer four times (twice with AVG, Spybot and Adaware). My computer is clean. I am sure that it's not infected!!

I was just wondering if there is a way for me to determine which software is sending automated requests to Google??

Thanks

Edited by Mesmerized, 23 May 2009 - 06:39 AM.

#7 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

Have you tried simply restarting your modem (and router, if you have one)?
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:07 PM

I got the same message from Google over a year ago. Maybe longer. I seem to remember
that it involved me blocking Google cookies. Too long ago to be sure.

Try doing like the message says. Remove all Google cookies and then revisit Google search or other Google
program such as GMail and allow a new Google cookie.

EDIT: If you are still using WOT, Site Advisor addons in Firefox 3 that, in my opinion is a bit of overkill
considering that Firefox has a built in antiphishing/bad site blocking/alert built in. While I may use Site Advisor
occassionally to see what they have to say about a particular site, their rating parameters are not
what I would call sufficient to protect you and more often than not misleading.

Check that NoScript is allowing Google.

Edited by buddy215, 23 May 2009 - 03:34 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 Mesmerized

Mesmerized
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:22 PM

Have you tried simply restarting your modem (and router, if you have one)?

Yes, several times. I've been having the same problem for a couple of days now.

Try doing like the message says. Remove all Google cookies and then revisit Google search or other Google
program such as GMail and allow a new Google cookie.

I did but still no use. However I don't know if my wording was clear. I can use both google and gmail normally. I only receive the error when I try to view cached pages saved by google.

I am still using WOT and McAfee. I think that they are useful when it comes to pointing out red downloads on a site.

As for NoScript, it sends me a notification on the "403 error message" page that it has blocked a cross-site scripting (XSS) attempt but I am not sure if I understand what it means. Did NoScript trigger the error or is it just responding to it?

I understand that cross-site scripting vulnerability can be used by attackers in order to craft powerful phishing attacks and browser exploits.

However, I am not sure what is happening and how does this relate to the 403 error.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:39 PM

Did NoScript give you the option to allow?
If you would like, post a google link that you get this message on. I will see what I get.

EDIT: These are the Advanced settings I have in NoScript. They may be default settings. I don't recall changing
them or not. Note the sites listed as not being protected against XSS. Does your settings have Google listed there?
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j71/budd...iptSettings.jpg

Edited by buddy215, 23 May 2009 - 06:13 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 Mesmerized

Mesmerized
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:51 AM

Hello,

When I received the 403 message for the first time, I was trying to view this page:

Dar Al-Hayat

I got afterward this notification from NoScript and a 403 message when I tried to see if I can access other cached pages saved by google.

NoScript filtered a potential cross-site scripting (XSS) attempt from [http://209.85.129.132]. Technical details have been logged to the console.

Next to it there is an options button with four choices: show console, unsafe reload, Notifications, options and XSS faq (there is no "allow" option").

P.S. yes, my NoScript settings are the same as yours. Google is listed in the Anti-XSS protection exceptions.

Edited by Mesmerized, 24 May 2009 - 04:55 AM.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:06 AM

You are not the only person complaining about this issue.
I clicked on the link you provided and received this:

Posted Image

Clicking on the a virus checker or spyware remover brought up totally blank pages-both have cnet.com addresses.
Next I clicked on the Google Web Search Help Center and found some discussions of this issue which date back to 2008.
Google's position seems to be that it could be a network thing, that there could be malware on your system, and never acknowledged the fact that some users are not on a network and they are not infected.

Have you used a different search engine? This might be the best option for you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 May 2009 - 09:09 AM.

#13 Mesmerized

Mesmerized
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:28 AM

Have you used a different search engine? This might be the best option for you.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, I am using other search engines now but I am still trying to figure out why it happened and what software on my machine is sending automated requests (if there are any) to google.

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:29 AM

After Googling a search for Dar AlHayat, I clicked on this link---english.daralhayat.com

Below is the message for that site:
Server Default page

This page is generated by Parallels Plesk Panel - leading hosting automation control panel. You see this page because there is no Web site at this address.

What you can do:

#15 Mesmerized

Mesmerized
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:37 AM

Ok thanks for helping me.

This is for the page in question but what about the 403 message that I get elsewhere?

Let's suppose that I am doing a research about "josef stalin" or something else whenever I click on the cached button (next to similar pages) below a search result, I get a 403 message sometimes NoScript warns me about filtering an XSS attempt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users