Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Firewall/AV?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 YoCouch

YoCouch

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:06 PM

Hi BC.
You guys always help me out, I got another one for ya:

For reasons I shant get into (unless you'd like me to, I suppose), I'm dumping Zonealarm and hopefully AVG.
I've used that combo for quite some time.
I just downloaded Comodo and it seems cool, but the learning curve seems a little steep for me.
Just curious what you guys think of that one, maybe some tips about the program?
Could I get away with just Comodo and S&D? I suppose I'd need some dedicated AV right?
I dunno, this kinda stuff ain't really my bag. I just like playing TF2. I guess thats why I'm here.
Hope this post isn't something that was just discussed, is posted in the wrong section, or stikied, or whatever.
What progs would you guys call out as a replacement AV, if thats necessary? It has to be freeware and :thumbsup:-friendly

...any and all help, thanks in advance.

quickedit: I just saw a couple more posts of late talking about the same kind of thing, appolgies. To differentiate my post a bit I'd really like to include that any Prog I'd use would have to take it easy on my rig. I need all I can get to max my framerate in various on-line arenas. Not only that, but it has to play nice with Steam, MMOs, etc...

Edited by YoCouch, 13 October 2008 - 10:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:25 AM

Hi,

I personally use Comodo Firewall & Avira Antivir. (both free versions)

The two work well together and are really simple to use. Comodo takes a bit of time to allow the access for programs to be able to updated/retrieving emails etc but once you have marked them as trusted applications then it's fine from there onwards.

I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware & Spybot - Search & Destory as standalone scanners, running them once a week to scan for any infections.

Also i see no difference in performance whilst running Comodo & Avira.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 YoCouch

YoCouch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:50 PM

Thanks for the info.
I've not heard of Avira, I'll have to give that one a go.
Think I'm getting the hang of Comodo.
I'm not really fond of the toolbar it installed on IE, but I supppose I can get rid of that somehow.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:00 AM

Comodo also have a freeware anti-virus application.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:51 AM

I'm not really fond of the toolbar it installed on IE, but I suppose I can get rid of that somehow.

Right clicking on the toolbar should give you the option to remove some, or go to View : Toolbars and deselect it. Then go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall it aswell.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:39 AM

Everyone has their own ideas on this subject but I have happily used Sygate Firewall and AVAST Antivirus for years - just works for me. I back these up with THREATFIRE, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, and WinPatrol.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

I'm not really fond of the toolbar it installed on IE, but I supppose I can get rid of that somehow.

This is why people should pay attention to the installation process instead of just clicking "Next" on every window
One of the windows offered you the option of whether to install it or not. I'm not ragging on you, I'm just amazed what people put on their computers without realizing it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 YoCouch

YoCouch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

This is why people should pay attention to the installation process instead of just clicking "Next" on every window
One of the windows offered you the option of whether to install it or not. I'm not ragging on you, I'm just amazed what people put on their computers without realizing it

LOL.
Agreed. In my defense I'll say this:
I knew Comodo was installing all kinda bleep on my computer. I was at least vagely aware of all the aspects, some more than others. For example, I didn't read the EULA in full :thumbsup: . Due to the fact the program came so highly reccomended, I figured it was kosher. I was not completely unaware it was installing a toolbar, I just figured I'd give it a try. I was sure it could easally be removed later. Emu was good enough to point out how, thanks again man.

I have happily used Sygate Firewall and AVAST Antivirus for years

Yeah, those two were actually my next choices. If one of these (comodo/avira) lose favor, those are next in line. Especially now that they've been recommended in this thread as well.

Thanks all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users