Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

right-click will not work in some places

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thor7777

thor7777

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:58 PM

I have a standard laptop touchpad with right and left click, as well as a bluetooth mouse. I don't know what I did to make this happen - I have lived with it for awhile.

When I right-click in the following places with either device, nothing happens:
---on the desktop (to bring up a context menu)
---in windows explorer on any of the displayed folders or files (for example, if I wanted to look at properties)
---in the start menu (say, to run the cmd prompt as an administrator)

But right-click does work on the recently-used program list in the start menu, other places in windows explorer (for example in the address bar to copy the address), and in every application I run on the computer.

Why does right-click only work some places? It can't be the mouse or buttons because it works most places, just not those few. I'm not sure what to try. Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:12 AM

Hi thor7777.
Bit of a stretch but right click Start. Go to Properties>Start Menu Tab>Customize Button.
Make sure "Enable Context Menus and Dragging and Dropping" is selected in the list.
Assuming you can right click the start button itself of course. :huh:

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:06 AM

Hmm...try the following:

1) Check Device Manager and see if you have any yellow exclamation marks with your Bluetooth or your standard touchpad.

2) Go to SAFE MODE. Check to see if right-click is functioning.

3) Find an old USB mouse and plug it in. Let Windows load the driver for it. See if Right click works in all situations. If it does, then check to see if the standard built-in left/right click on your Thinkpad now works as well. If this is true, then there is an issue with your bluetooth or the drivers for it.

4) Go to your computer manufacturers site for information on your device to see if there is a driver update. If so, apply it. Also check for updates to:
- your BIOS
- chipset
**Reboot if you update anything**

5) Go to Windows Update (within Control Panel, if you use Vista) and check for all updates, including recommended (non-critical) updates to see if this is a bug and a patch has been released for it.

Let us know how you make out. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users