Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My CD drive tray won't open...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:18 PM

Hi Bleepers.

My CD Drive tray won't open. I'm not entirely sure if there's as disk in there or not.

I've tried switching off and on the computer.

I've poked a piece of wire through the pin-hole in the tray front.

I've clicked 'Eject'.

The little drive-tray light flashes rapidly when I press the button to open it up, but then it dies down and goes out.

I'd appreciate any help. I imported 'Drivermax' in the hope it could help with this - but no luck.

Thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

I've poked a piece of wire through the pin-hole in the tray front.

That didn't work??
You've got to push kind of hard. Best to use a paper clip. just straighten it out
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:03 PM

Oh boy. How old is this drive? If there is a CD in it. Im assuming you want it back. If is an old drive. I'd take out the drive and remove the cover. Look to see if the rubber band is not broken. If it is. Thats the cause. It has a rubber belt from rotor to rotor that drives the gear box for the drive tray track. If it is broken. I would try to find some string and tie a new one around the wheels. This is a temp repair. Also I think you can remove the CD now without power.

WARNING doing this will void your warrenty

Edited by Goldwyn, 13 October 2008 - 06:20 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:08 PM

Thanks garmanma and Goldwyn.

Pushing the paper-clip a little harder, did the job!

But... after pulling the tray all the way out, and then pressing the button to close it - it would not open again by pressing the button.

With the tray out, I can see the rubber-band is working okay with the cogs.

Looks like I'll have to open it all up and see if something is broken or missing.

Update:

The tray was empty. I put a CD in, and pressed the button to close it. Okay. When I pressed the button to open it - it worked again.

But only this once. It now doesn't open or close any more.

Maybe what I need is a CD Drive software update? I'll check it out.

Posted Image

Edited by Bone Idol, 13 October 2008 - 08:29 PM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:27 PM

Go ahead and do that. It's a learning experience, but if you mess with the laser in any way the unit will be toast. The lens has to be precisely aligned.
On a positive note, DVD burners are going for $30+
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:41 AM

Glad you where able to open it. Atleast once right. Good to hear that the Track Motor and bands are working right. I would use Isopropyl alcohol with a Q-tip to clean out some of the parts. Example the track/Laser lens. However Be Gental. If ya push to hard on the lens. You could cause damage.. With the power off. The lens "Floats" If all else fails. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827131050 is pretty good for a replacement. It has interchangeable Face plates to swap out to match your case.
Posted Image

#7 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:33 PM

Okay Goldwyn. Thank you.

The situation now is that the CD/DVD Drive is able to read a DVD movie and play it on the screen, which must mean the laser is properly aligned, etc.

But! When I'm using ConvertXtoDVD to convert and burn a movie to disc, the burning session doesn't work.

Posted Image

Also, again the CD Drive tray most times won't open unless I poke it with a piece of wire.

Very frustrating. It can read a DVD movie, and yet can't burn one.

I used pressurised air to blow any dust out from the CD Drive tray cavity.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:12 PM

IIRC, there are 2 lenses in a combo unit, one to burn and one to read
someone correct me if I'm wrong
Mark
Posted Image

#9 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:53 PM

Success! :thumbsup:

Three times I've used ConvertXtoDVD to convert and burn a movie to disc, and each time the burning phase has failed to burn.

But I've just had a successful burn, using DVDShrink. I imported the converted version of the movie from the ConvertXtoDVD folder - and burnt it to disc using DVDShrink. No problemo. And the movie played okay in my standalone DVD Player.

Maybe the burning utility in my ConvertXtoDVD software has been corrupted in some way?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users