Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 64bit pro. cant update windows or reset system restore

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 GAZMAN195

GAZMAN195

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:08 PM

Hi everyone.

Im running Windows xp Professional x64 Edition.

Im running:
Avast
Commodo firewall
spybot s&d
Ad aware
spyblaster
malwarebytes

I have been through a hijackthis log on this site and have been confermed malware free by Billy O'Neal. (Thank you very much for your help!).

1. I cannot create a new restore point. If I go to "Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore" I get the error message "System Restore is unable to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run System Restore again".

2. I cannot update windows, Before I went through the hijack this process I could see that I had about 10 windows updates (not including office updates) that needed downloading but wouldnt, Now I cant even get to that screen when I go to the windows update page I get the message " Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer".

When I click to reinstall the files I get the error message "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page youare trying to view" with the error code "[Error number: 0x8007041D".

Can anyone help me please!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GAZMAN195

GAZMAN195
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:05 PM

no ideas?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:16 PM

Sorry, I must've missed this one earlier (I'd have definitely replied if I'd have seen it)!

First, I'd check to see if your services are up and running, particularly the Windows Update service and the System Restore service. Also check the Dependencies tab to help locate the services that they depend upon, and the services that depend upon them.

If that doesn't fix it, you can check out this free program on a 32 bit system ( http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix#Standard_version ). The program IS NOT 64 bit compatible!!!

Use the tool tips for the Windows Update stuff to re-register the Windows Update DLL's (there's a bunch of them). Here's a link on how to do it: http://consumerdocs.installshield.com/self...9&sliceId=1

Then try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog (more info here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 GAZMAN195

GAZMAN195
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:28 PM

"First, I'd check to see if your services are up and running, particularly the Windows Update service and the System Restore service. Also check the Dependencies tab to help locate the services that they depend upon, and the services that depend upon them".

Ok thanks for the reply, How do I do that?

#5 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:33 PM

Manually registering files solves the problem

If you find that Windows Update refuses to install most patches, you can register its missing DLLs yourself. This can be accomplished by manually entering seven commands (shown in Step 2, below) at a command prompt. If you need to run the fix on multiple machines, it's easiest to use a batch file, as Steps 1 through 5 explain:

Step 1. Open Notepad (or any text editor).

Step 2. Copy and paste the following command lines into the Notepad window (the /s switch runs the commands silently, freeing you from having to press Enter after each line):

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

Step 3. Save the file to your desktop, using a .bat or .cmd extension.

Step 4. Double-click the icon of the .bat or .cmd file.

Step 5. A command window will open, run the commands, and then close.

The next time you visit the Windows Update site, you should not have any problem installing the latest patches.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:17 PM

The error message "Error number: 0x8007041D" says that the Windows Update service can't be accessed, so it's prudent to check it's status before re-registering the DLL's.

To check the services, go to Start...Run...and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Scroll down the list to the Automatic Updates Services and check to see if it's "Started" in the Status column
Then scroll down to the System Restore Service and check to see if it's "Started" in the Status column
While you're in there, check the Background Intelligent Transfer Service also to see if it's started.

To find out what the Dependencies are, right click on the Service and select "Properties", then click on the Dependencies tab.
Then check them as above.

Let us know what you find (if the services aren't started) and we'll work from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 GAZMAN195

GAZMAN195
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:41 AM

Hello.

None of the 3 are marked as started.

Auto update has no dependancies.
System restore has a dependancie:
Remote Procedure Call (RPC).
Background Intelligent Transfer Service has 3 dependancies:
COM+ Event System:
+ Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

I have not yet run the .bat file as suggested by mme but Im pretty sure I tryed that when I 1st posted this problem before I did the hijack this log.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

Check the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service to ensure that it's started. If not, right click on it and select "Start"
Right click on each one of the services and select "Start" - check to make sure that they start.
Then test the computer to see if you can access Windows Update and System Restore (BITS is needed for Windows Update).
If it works, follow the stuff in the next paragraph.

It may be advisable to download the "Default Windows XP x64 (64-bit) Service Pack 2 Services Start Key" file from this link: http://www.blackviper.com/WinXPx64/registry.htm Once you've downloaded and extracted it, double click on it to merge the information into your registry. Reboot the system and the services should now start automatically - if not, post back and we'll see what else we can drag up.

#9 GAZMAN195

GAZMAN195
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:03 PM

RPC was already started.

When trying to start BITS I got the error message:
Could not start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service on local computer. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

When trying to start Automatic Updateds:
Could not start the Automatic Updates on Local Computer. Error 126: The specified module could not be found.

When trying to start System Restore:
Could not start the System Restore Service on Local Computer. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:37 PM

Then try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog (more info here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ )

If that doesn't fix it, then I'd suggest a repair install of XP. If you've got Internet Explorer 7 installed, read this article first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964 Then read this for the procedure for the repair install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

CAVEAT:
The repair install is supposed to leave your data and programs intact - but, as with any system-wide changes, it's always advisable to backup your data before proceeding.

#11 GAZMAN195

GAZMAN195
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:41 PM

Ok I ran SFC.EXE /SCANNOW but it made no difference (still the same error code when trying to update windows).

When trying to uninstall IE7 I got the error message:

Setup libary wbemupgd.dll could not be loaded, or function OcEntry could not be found. Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x7e.

I dont actually use IE7 (hasnt been used since 2006 according to Add/remove programs) I use Yahoo that came my BT broadband. So would it really matter if I didnt uninstall it 1st?

I would just like to take this moment to remind you that I am running 64bit windows xp (and alot of things dont really work with it :thumbsup: ). The guy who was doing my hijack this log forgot and I think he was starting to get a little confused as to why nothing was working the way he expected.

Thanks again for your help!

#12 GAZMAN195

GAZMAN195
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:43 PM

Beleve it or not apart from not being able to update windows and set a new clean restore point my computer is working like a dream LOL.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:01 PM

It's not the browser that's at issue here, but it's the ability to use the browser later on that is the problem. AFAIK, Yahoo uses Internet Explorer as it's browser (it's just customized with Yahoo stuff).

In the article above, scroll down the page until just before the "Reinstall Internet Explorer" section. It should read something like this:

If Internet Explorer 7 cannot be uninstalled, but if the Windows\ie7\Spuninst folder exists, uninstall Internet Explorer 7 in the Recovery Console. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Restart the computer in the Recovery Console. For more information about how to use the Recovery Console, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307654 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/) How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
2. Type the following commands.

Note Press ENTER after each command.
CD ie7\spuninst
batch Spuninst.txt
3. Insert the Windows XP installation CD into the computer's CD drive, and then restart the computer.
4. Perform a Repair installation of Windows XP. After the Repair installation process is complete, start Internet Explorer 6, and then make sure that it works.
5. Install the latest service pack for Windows XP.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322389 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/) How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack

Follow that procedure to uninstall IE7 - it's worked for me on every occasion that I've tried it (about 3 times so far).

#14 GAZMAN195

GAZMAN195
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:05 PM

Right I have got as far as the end of step 4 but internet explorer is now no longer working (I am using firefox to post here) and I have noticed that IE7 is still in my add remove programs list :thumbsup:

#15 GAZMAN195

GAZMAN195
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:08 PM

Just to add

During step 2 it did flash up quickly a couple of times "acsess is denied" but then proceeded with a load of "1 file is copyed" also the repair installation of windows did seem a bit too fast?? took under a minute.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users