Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows media player

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sheilab

sheilab

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 04:12 AM

:thumbsup: Hi my name is Sheila I live in the UK i enjoy my computer and would like to learn a lot more about them.but at the mo I'v got a problem with my windows media player, when I'm looking at video clips from on line when its loaded the media player just crashes and vanishes. If i put a disk in it plays OK? I have'nt a clue what to do. could anybody help please its driving my nuts!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winnipeg

Winnipeg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 05:27 PM

You don't say, what version of win. media player you have.
When you are playing content from a network source, Microsoft Windows Media Player 9 Series may quit unexpectedly (crash) if Windows Media Player briefly loses the network connection and then tries to reconnect.

If you are using Windows Media Player together with a host application such as Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Windows Media Player is embedded in the host application, the host application may quit unexpectedly if the network connection is lost.

If the Internet Explorer local browser cache is near its specified capacity, and the Windows Media Player content is cached in the local browser cache, an internal error in Windows Media Player occurs that causes the problem that is mentioned.

To work around this problem temporarily, clear the Internet Explorer local browser cache.

This applies only to Windows Media Player Series 9 - Only

Winnipeg

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:50 PM

You can follow Winnipeg's advice by doing this:

To clean your internet cache and temporary files:
Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 sheilab

sheilab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:42 AM

:thumbsup:
Hi thanks for the info, The windows media player i have got is number 8 so shall i still clear my cache? I'm only just starting to learn more about the tec side of things. Also I'm on broadband.

Edited by sheilab, 02 May 2005 - 03:44 AM.

#5 Winnipeg

Winnipeg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 04:04 PM

Hi Sheilab; Rimmer is giving you good advice, Yes do what he said in his post. You can also do this Open Internet Explorer - Go To > Tools > scroll down to > Internet Options > Click on the General tab > Delete Cookies > Files > Delete All Offline Content > Clear history > hit apply and Ok. You will notice that the history tab you can set the number of days to keep. I have mine set for 1 day, but you can set it for whatever you want. These are just web sites that you went to in that day, they are all temporary files taking up space. Removing any of the above will not hurt your machine in any way - It will make it run faster after removing all that junk.

Make sure that you are Defraging your computer on a regular bases, if not Go To > Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter > Click on the drive you want to defrag and click defragmenter. This might take a little time if you are doing this for the first time.

Make sure that you are going to Windows Update and downloading all the critical updates for your machine. These updates also include updates for Windows Media Player 8, Although 9 and 10 are out for Windows Media Player. You might want to think of upgrading to 9 or 10. This might solve your problem with Player 8 and Microsoft has worked most of the bugs out of the new players and work fine in xp. I have windows media player 10 installed on mine and works fine. Then of course you could download any player that you wanted, you don't have to use windows media player 8, you could download Quick Time, Real Player, or any of the other one's out their. I have Quick Time, Real Player and Windows Media Player 10 installed on my machine. If you just want WMP-8, then thats your choice but 9 and 10 have more and better features installed.
Let us know if you want to upgrade and someone in the form will help you with whatever questions you have.

Let us know if this fixed the problem or it still persists and someone in the form will be glad to help.

Winnipeg :thumbsup:

#6 sheilab

sheilab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:24 AM

Thanks I managed to sort it with your help, I did try the things you said but It still would'nt have it. So i down loaded windows media 10 and it is now working. once again thank you. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by sheilab, 03 May 2005 - 11:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users