Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about XP cd

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dnap

dnap

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

i have the system restore and operating system cd's that were meant for my computer and motherboard and all, but if i switch motherboards, will my xp cd still work for the new motherboard? i guess im concerned about the drivers not being compatable or something like that.

CPU - AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Motherboard -MSI 990FXA-GD80

Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 280

Storage - Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM

Power Supply - hec XP1080 800W

Case - Antec DF-35

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:31 PM

System restore CDs...include O/S, drivers, and junk software which the OEM may want to include.

AFAIK, system restore/recovery CDs from an OEM (Gateway, HP, etc.) will not work on a system that does not have the components of the original system. This is by design, of course.

To confirm the terms of use for such CDs, you need to go to the website of the system manufacturer, IMO...or consult the owner/user manual which was issued with the system.

Louis

#3 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:57 PM

so lets say i had just an XP disc that wasnt meant for any specific computer, then what?

Case - Antec DF-35

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:33 PM

There are all sorts of "XP disks".

First of all, I don't consider any illegal version of XP...worth even commenting on. Not saying that yours is illegal, just stating my philosophy about such. People do come here with illegal versions and request assistance...which conflicts with forum rules.

Then there are Microsoft OEM, retail, and upgrade versions.

Each has special rules that apply to it regarding it's proper use, installation, etc. Those can be found at the Microsoft website in great detail.

It basically works this way, IMO...anyone installing a legitimate version of XP and with a bona fide license/key for that version...can probably reinstall XP on any system that has changed components. I believe that, at this particular point in time...the Activation Police are concerned with duplicate use of licenses/keys...and not so much with changes to the compoents of a system.

In your case...you would be going from a PIII system/motherboard...to something more recent. You would also be moving from an IDE hard drive to a SATA hard drive. If it were my job, I would deem that to be a "new system", since no one logically can tie a PIII to SATA and recent processors.

But...one never knows until one tries activation.

And...honestly speaking...I don't think XP will continue to be of concern when it comes to activation. MS still has some selling to do to the public...but Vista is clearly the future, if not the now.

That's just my opinion about all this.

Louis

#5 pasquanel

pasquanel

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:56 PM

Basically any major hardware change may require reactivation but if you have a copy of the OS and the key there should be no problem.
You can do the reactivation on line or by phone. I recently rebuilt my entire system and cloned the OS then called MS and they gave me a new key with no problem at all.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

A link about some of the issues that one may encounter: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:18 PM

yes i have an actual licence key on my case, and the system restore and OS i purchased through HP directly, all legitamate here. i was just concerned if the drivers on my cd's would conflict on a different system since these cd's were meant for my hard driver, MoBo etc...

and the reactivation is easy, ive done it many times, on my current and my computer before this one, so no worries there.

and usasma, thanks for the link, however its late so will have to check it out tomorrow.

Case - Antec DF-35

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:45 PM

The CD that you have from HP will have the drivers for the specific motherboard that was installed, if you change the motherboard you will have to install the drivers from the CD that comes with the new motherboard.

It sounds like you plan to make a fresh installation of the operating system, and this is important as there is a problem with introducing the chipset of a new motherboard to a hdd with a Window OS that has been installed with another motherboard. The registry recognizes the chipset from the first motherboard and then sees the chipset of the new one and will get confused, this usually will result in having to reinstall the OS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:49 AM

A problem that you may encounter with HP disks:

What in the world was “Error Code Purple,” I wondered. A quick search on the net revealed that this was a booby trap placed in HP and Compaq computers in which a “tattoo” or numerical signature of the motherboard and hardware configuration is created at the factory and encoded into the restore disks on a particular computer. When you re-install your system, it checks to make sure the system has not been modified. If you have modified your system, the “tattoo” generated by the checking program will be different than the original, and the system will not boot.

From this link: http://www.billoblog.com/?p=152
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

A problem that you may encounter with HP disks:

What in the world was “Error Code Purple,” I wondered. A quick search on the net revealed that this was a booby trap placed in HP and Compaq computers in which a “tattoo” or numerical signature of the motherboard and hardware configuration is created at the factory and encoded into the restore disks on a particular computer. When you re-install your system, it checks to make sure the system has not been modified. If you have modified your system, the “tattoo” generated by the checking program will be different than the original, and the system will not boot.

From this link: http://www.billoblog.com/?p=152

another interesting read usasma, thanks a lot to you and everyone else for the help, it definately helped me realize and understand my situation a little better.

Case - Antec DF-35

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users