Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

smitfraud infection-can't boot up in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 no_hops_23

no_hops_23

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:25 PM

Hi,
My computer has some smitfraud on it. I can't run it in safe mode because it gives me a blue screen so I started it in normal mode and ran smitfraudfix. It cleaned up some of the problems but there is still more. Unfortunately whenever I try to run any type of antivirus software or hijackthis I get a blue screen. I was getting so fed up that I tried to reinstall xp except the computer won't read the cd-rom drive and always boots from the hard drive no matter the priority I set in BIOS.

I have a Lenovo T41 and am running xp. Any suggestions at all would be great. Bear in mind I can't boot up in safe mode or use antivirus/spyware/malware programs because they cause a fatal exception.

Thanks so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:03 PM

:thumbsup: and welcom

Please advise what protection programs you DO have installed and what have you attempted to run??

Is your System Restore turned on?

#3 no_hops_23

no_hops_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:01 PM

Thanks for the welcome.
I have a-squared installed on my computer but anytime I try and run it I get a blue screen. I also have run smitfraudfix. I"m not sure if system restore is turned on or not and I can't check it as the virus seems to be getting worse. Now it blue screens within the first 60 seconds of logging in. I have not changed the default setting so it is whatever the default setting was.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:30 PM

Perhaps we can stop the BSOD.

Stop the cycling Blue Screen of Death and write down the complete error mesage...

Please do this

To stop the reboot process go to
}Start
}Right click My Computer
}Properties
}Advanced
}Startup and Recovery and untick automatically restart

The screen will now stop so you can copy it All,then post it.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 no_hops_23

no_hops_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:51 PM

The blue screen says:

stop 00000c21a(fatal system error)
The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005(0x000000000 0x0000000).
The system has been shut down

I hope that helps but I have a feeling there isn't too much info there.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:34 PM

Lets see if we can get a HJT Log this way.

Download and install WinPatrol.
*During installation, it will create "Scotty the dog" icon in your system tray.
*Right click on the icon and choose Options.
*Under the Options tab click on Hijack Log.
*WinPatrol will scan your system and create a hijackthis log for you.
*When the scan is complete, notepad will open with a file named HijackPatrol.log
*Save the log file to your desktop and copy/paste the contents into a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here.
*Exit WinPatrol when done.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users