Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keyboard/Interface Error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WannaBeTech

WannaBeTech

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:42 PM

SR 1222nx Compaq Presario SATA drive 512MB American Megatrends BIOS v2.54

When loading and detecting, system stops and displays a keyboard/Interface error. The mouse doesn't work either but O/S loads fine. I connected another ps/2 keyboard and it displays the same error. USB keyboard and mouse work well. I also opened the cover and check to see if the connectors were loose, but they seem fine. This system was very, very dirty from the inside, so I gave it an air spray blow to clean it. I also shot some air on the mouse and keyboard connectors just to make sure. I don't know what else to try. I don't know what to make of it, if it's in the BIOS or problably false contact on the soldering in that area.

I also checked the device drivers in Windows just to make sure, although I know the problem is not here.
Any advice is appreciated,

Thanksf

Edited by WannaBeTech, 13 October 2008 - 01:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

Keyboard drivers could be damaged/corrupt...I'd try uninstalling same (using Device Manager), rebooting...letting them install anew.

Louis

#3 WannaBeTech

WannaBeTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:13 PM

Well, the last thing I said was that I checked the device mgr , but everything's fine there. I am going to do that just to get it off my head....a last resort.

I have found information on this and everyone's saying motherboard issue at the controller chip or perhaps bad solder in that area. There is no answer for it that I have found.

#4 WannaBeTech

WannaBeTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

I know want to forget about ps/2 and go with usb keyboard and mouse. The problem is that I need to disable the ps/2 keyboard error prompt that says to press F1 to go to BIOS. I haven't been able to find it in American Megatrends BIOS v2.54. I disabled the mouse, but I can't find the disabler for keyboard.

PLEASE HELP!

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:23 PM

Unless you plug/unplug the connections a lot I doubt it would be bad solder traces. That's not to say the connections couldn't be bad. But I would check the BIOS settings first.
Just because Device Manager says everything is fine doesn't mean it's necessarily so
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 WannaBeTech

WannaBeTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:52 PM

Unless you plug/unplug the connections a lot I doubt it would be bad solder traces. That's not to say the connections couldn't be bad. But I would check the BIOS settings first.
Just because Device Manager says everything is fine doesn't mean it's necessarily so

Solder under the mobo, not on the connectors plug ins ;-)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:57 PM

A solder bridge will almost always cause a failure right off the get go. This is what the industry refers to as an infant mortality.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:06 AM

FWIW: There is nothing in Windows XP or any other version...that advises a user when a file is corrupt.

SFC /scannow is as close as it comes...and it only replaces the damaged system files after the fact.

Device Manager is an good indicator of some things, file/driver corruption is not one of them.

Louis

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:19 AM

That would be a bad wave-solder job during the assembly phase and would probably still effect the connections on the mobo.
I would think if it's solder under the mobo it would ground out the entire board not just those connections. Plus, it should have never worked
Is this a new installation or has the computer been working previously?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 WannaBeTech

WannaBeTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:36 PM

That would be a bad wave-solder job during the assembly phase and would probably still effect the connections on the mobo.
I would think if it's solder under the mobo it would ground out the entire board not just those connections. Plus, it should have never worked
Is this a new installation or has the computer been working previously?

I'm sorry for the late reply....

This system worked before. It just ceased to work all of a sudden. I have found reports with the same BIOS and HP system of this error.
This is a Compaq Presario SR1222NX.

PS/2 keyboard works fine on my other system. Problem's not the keyboard. USB keyboards works for entering BIOS. But the BIOS does not say anything about how to disable keyboard error or halt on error disable.

I was telling Hamluis , who posted here that I don't think is the mouse drivers. Legacy keyboard and mouse should load in BIOS w/o windows. Besides, when I load drivers with a boot cd, they don't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users