Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes when inputting text to fields

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vgnerdRich

vgnerdRich

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:33 PM

Hi all

My friend is having problems with her Thinkpad. Frequently when entering text into a search or password field the system will freeze. This even happens in the windows Run input field. Does anyone have any suggestions, instructions or know what direction I should be looking to solve this problem?

Her Thinkpad runs winxp sp 3
We have already run Symantec av, spybot, and malwarebytes software. The Laptop had Vnrblock21 and virtumonde according to these programs. The problems have been removed and scans are coming back clean as of today. We have also run disc cleanup and the defrag tools windows provided. We also used CCleaner to clean temp files and the registry.

Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:31 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the freezes.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 vgnerdRich

vgnerdRich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:51 PM

thanks for your response.

Event manager keeps reporting this in the System section:
Error
Date: 10/16/2008 Source: Service Control Manager
Type: Error Category: None
Event ID: 7000

The SMI helper driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at ...

This is the error reported each time her laptop crashes. Google searching has left me confused as to if this service is part of the Lenovo Thinkpads fingerprint security software or it is something else totally. The lenovo website was not to helpful. I am most likely just looking in the wrong places :thumbsup:.

Any ideas?

thanks a bunch

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:31 PM

Do you have this software installed on the system?

http://www.upek.com/solutions/psql/default.asp

Louis

#5 vgnerdRich

vgnerdRich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:42 AM

The software is not installed on her system. Perhaps it was at one time and was deleted. Is it possible that one of the viruses could uninstall it?

again, thanks for your insights

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:17 AM

OK...take a look in Services (Start/Administrative Tools/Services).

See if there is a listing for SMI Helper Driver.

I'm pretty irritated by the lack of info about this on the Web...if it were on my system, I would just remove all traces of it since there is nothing (other than the link I previously provided) that indicates it should be on my system.

To do so, I would start with a solid search of my system (Start/Search/SMI) for any/all files...followed up by a search of my registry for same.

Sorry I can't be more informative/helpful :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:20 PM

Does the fingerprint reader work normally?
If not, you'll have to reinstall the software/drivers for it.

If it does, then the SMI helper driver may either be:
- not needed
- belong to another program.

Are you experiencing any other things not working on the computer?
Can you access the program that controls the software for the fingerprint reader?
If so, can you change settings in the program?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users