Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc turns on but nothing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lorenzod

lorenzod

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:12 PM

my mother in law has an Emachine pc desktop and one day out of the blue it just started acting up, i went there to see if i could figure it out and i couldn't see anything and the fans were louder than normal. The lights turn on, i don't recall hearing any beeping when the pc is turned on but i can open the cd drive. i've tried hooking it up to a different monitor and still the same thing, any ideas on how i can fix this problem by myself without having to take it in? thanks!
-lorenzo(idaho)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:08 PM

Reseat the video card...reseat the RAM...check all connections for all devices...that would be my start.

Then, if necessary, I would try a different video card (first) and monitor (second).

Louis

#3 lorenzod

lorenzod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:31 PM

how do i reset those? Just take it out and put it back in?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:05 PM

Reseat, not reset :thumbsup:...yep, just take them out and make sure they are put in correctly and secured.

Louis

#5 lorenzod

lorenzod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:34 PM

so i resat pretty much everything that can come out and put it back in, the pc still doesn't turn on, i looked at the wires and they appear to be just fine i even switched out memory with an older computer and it still didn't work, any ideas? Also i don't think its the motherboard as to the fans are both working

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:44 PM

Some eMachines motherboards have a history of dying without visible symptoms. At work we'll spend days troubleshooting them, then resort to a format and reinstall - only to find that the problem still exists. I had one customer that nearly lived in our shop for 6 months until we replaced the motherboard.

The "recipe" we generally use is:

Do a malware scan
Visual inspection of the motherboard and components
Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility
Test the memory with a diagnostic utility
Test the motherboard with a diagnostic utility (Eurosoft - $498 to $861) - THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE TEST OF THE MOTHERBOARD!!!
Repair the MBR and Boot Sector of the hard drive
Run CHKDSK /R on the hard drive
Check the various error reporting tools in Windows to ensure that there's not another problem.
Check for BIOS/Driver updates that may affect this issue.
Backup the data if the customer wants it.
DBAN the hard drive (Darrick's Boot And Nuke)
Install Windows, install updates, then install drivers
Test to see if the problem has gone away.

If that doesn't fix it, then we assume it's the motherboard
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 lorenzod

lorenzod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

i can't even see the screen to do most of that stuff....

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:14 PM

Without video you won't be able to do the majority of the tests.
So, you've gotta work on getting the video to work first - then (if it does work) you can run the rest of the tests.
Without video there's just not much that you can do.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:13 PM

I'd start by switching (temporarily) another power supply in.

I think those tend to go pretty easily with eMachines systems.

What's the model number of this system?

The hard drive can be removed and connected to a working system for testing.

The RAM can (possibly) be switched to a known working system for testing.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users