Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a free program to convert a Powerpoint?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:13 PM

Hi I want to share a PPS that I was sent via a friend in an e-mail and find that my recipient does not use PPS.... is a senior on limited income and does not use PPS.
I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me re an App and also I am not a techie and so I would not know what to convert the PPS into???
Thank you for your time.
:thumbsup:
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:43 PM

Hello georgia,

Your friend can download the free PowerPoint Viewer from Microsoft to view PowerPoint presentations.

"PowerPoint Viewer 2007":

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:44 PM

Hi, thx for the reply. Just wondered ....I am still using Outlook 2003, will this app work for this era of Outlook that I am trying to pass on this PPS to him?
As you can see I am not a techie and apologize if this is a foolish question, however I always like to present myself in a post so that the readers can understand where I am at in experience !
Again thank you and I look forward to a reply !
Cheers!

#4 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:27 PM

The version of Outlook that your friend is using should not make any difference at all. The PowerPoint Viewer is a separate application that doesn't really "care" about the program that you use to process e-mail.

Your friend does need to install the PowerPoint Viewer on his/her computer before being able to view the attachment (.PPS file) that you plan to send.

#5 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:03 PM

Thx again for the reply. My friend does not even have M$ Word !! Again as mentioned the app is not needed for use and so I was wondering if the fact that I am going to be sending it via Outlook 2003 will be an issue with this Outlook 2007 version of the viewer that you were kind enough to send in Link form.
I am simply just not 'techie' with it ...as I am certain you can tell.
I hope to hear more comments re this.
I really appreciate the experience that the other members here at BC share.
Cheers !

#6 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:37 AM

Send an e-mail to your friend containing the following (or similar) text:

Hello ______,

Attached is a PowerPoint slide show file (xxx.PPS) that I thought you might enjoy. In order to view the slide show, you first need to download and install the free "PowerPoint Viewer 2007" from Microsoft. Just click the following link and follow the instructions for downloading and installing the Viewer:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=048dc840-14e1-467d-8dca-19d2a8fd7485&DisplayLang=en

After the PowerPoint Viewer is installed, you should be able to double-click the attached file name (xxx.PPS) and the slide show will play in the PowerPoint Viewer.

Be sure to attach the xxx.PPS file to the above e-mail before sending it.

The PowerPoint Viewer 2007 program works with presentations created by any version of PowerPoint, from PowerPoint 97 and later.

Additionally, the e-mail client program (e.g., Outlook 2003) you use to send the e-mail+attachment does not matter, nor does the e-mail client program (e.g., Outlook Express) your friend uses to read the e-mail.

#7 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:41 AM

Thx again so very much for the reply. It is a senior up here in the canadian north that I wanted to spread a little Thanksgiving Cheer with however he did not have an app to open the PPS with and now I am certain this will make his day even if it is a little late; simply b/c he just got his computer and few people are emailing him and it is always nice to put a little sunshine in someone's life if you can.
At least that is the way I look at it !!
Thx again for the recommendation and I am getting onto it directly here !!
The folks here at BC are always so knowledgable, for which I give great thankyous.
I try to help when I can, however my tech expertis is 'wanting' !!!
Have a great day, for me it is off to the election polls !!!
Cheers!

#8 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

Well I gave it a go and am stalled !!! LOL !
I used to always do a right click on a Link and it would be inserted in an E-mail and now I get these options only:
Copy Shortcut
Save Target As

Send To: Blog This Page
G-Mail This Page
SMS This Page

There is simply no Send to "Mail Recipient" which I used to do????

I do not use GMail and don't want to.
I am wondering about 'Save Target As' ????

Sorry for my lack of expertise here....but this is the level that I am at !

I also tried inserting the Link manually the way you had it in your post and it would not open in the Email that I was trying to send.
It asked where I wanted the Link....'Top of Document, Bookmarks....etc. I did not understand what this was all about ???

I hope that you can enlighten me.
I really appreciate your time and quality comments.

Have a great day !!!

#9 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:09 PM

I'm not exactly sure how you are constructing the e-mail, but I think what you want is the following:

When you right-click on the link I originally provided above (post #2), select the option "Copy Shortcut". Then, in the body of your e-mail text where you want the link to appear, right-click and select "Paste".

Even if the link does not appear to be active, go ahead and send the e-mail, but also send a copy (CC:) to yourself. See if the copy that you receive works properly. (Actually, rather than doing it that way, you might just want to send it to yourself first, to verify that the e-mail is correct. Once you have verified that, send it or forward it to your friend.)

#10 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:14 AM

Hi again, thx for the suggestion. I did try to send it to myself and it did work and sent it on to my friend 'via copy short cut'. Just curious though....I tried to send it to him via his 'yahoo account' and it would not work.
It came through to him with 'all of the text that you had included but without the underscore Link line' ???
So it would not work for him, when he clicked on it, all it did was highlite the individual words. And yet when I clicked on it in my sent mail the Link did open for me??? I then sent it to him via his OE and it was successful.
Just thought that I would ask the question while it is fresh in my mind. Does M$ not permit sending via Yahoo mail?
Again, thank you for your time and interest as it is greatly appreciated.
Cheers

#11 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:46 AM

See this related post (near the end):

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=975639

#12 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

Thx, I forgot that I posted that and did not get back to it ! re: GIF
I did try sending it to myself, however it did not have animation?????
Just thought that I would add that.
Thank you.

And so the PPS text sent to a Yahoo address cannot be sent via 'copy shortcut' and paste?

#13 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

http://www.filehippo.com/download_openoffice/

open office has power point

#14 andrewtiger

andrewtiger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:24 PM

PowerPoint can package itself to CD by its build-in function. But the output CD is digital CD can only be played on computer and canít be played on CD player.
There is a free way for you to do this:
Export your powerpoint slides to JPEG images, then use windows movie maker to make a video, and then burn the video to DVD.
But in this way all the animations and transitions in your presentation will be lost.

Here is an article about how to convert a PPS, so others can view it directly without a MS PowerPoint installed computer.
http://www.presentersuniversity.com/smf/in...hp?topic=3217.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users