Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Digital camera advice?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Shibi

Shibi

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 01:09 AM

Hi. I need your help.

I have a confession: I know absolutely nothing about digital cameras!

I would like a simple one... in the $200 range, if that's not a laughable goal. Do you have any suggestions?

But, with this in mind... I am visiting Tokyo in July -- should I buy one there? (Well, I would have trouble reading the instructions, but who needs those, anyway? :thumbsup: )

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
T.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nanakat

nanakat

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:18 AM

The higher the megapixels on a camera the better pictures it will take. I have a 3.2 that takes really good pics but my mom has a 8 that takes awesome pics. I wouldn't get anything under a 3 myself, my old one which was a 1.5 took terrible pics...any little movement & the picture would be very blurry. I would look for the highest megapixel cam in your price range :thumbsup:
Posted Image

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:55 AM

I understand that Optical Zoom (the lenses move) is better than Digital Zoom (its done electronically). Some cameras offer both.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:59 AM

(Well, I would have trouble reading the instructions, but who needs those, anyway? laugh.gif )

My Canon Powershot G3 has 205 pages in the manual, and I am mastering it bit by bit! I certainly get more out of the camera by doing a bit of homework! :thumbsup:
You may be able to get an English version in Japan.

I bought a camera in NY recently, and the international warranty was supplied free of charge - so if things go wrong now I'm back home, at least I'm covered.

Have fun :flowers:

luci2a

#5 paras

paras

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:40 AM

in the 200 range u should be able to get a 4.1 megapixel one..... and as for what are the best makes for a camrea in my opinion these are very good makes....

fujifilm
canon
kodak
hp
olympus
sony

to be true fujifilm is a super food make especially the finepix ones...... but the other are quite good as well.......

P.S. this is my opinion..
Posted Image

#6 paras

paras

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:41 AM

sorry for saying "food"

i meant "good"
Posted Image

#7 redd2

redd2

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 01:34 PM

I have the Kodak EasyShare cx7430. 4.0mp, 3X zoom, even has VGA (movie mode). I only paid about $200 for it. Be sure to get an additional chip so you can take loads and loads of photos. I got mine with the kit that has the rechargeable batteries and recharger, a littl tri pod, carry case and even photo paper. I am very happy with mine, take great photos. Hope this gives you some ideas.

redd

Edited by redd2, 01 May 2005 - 01:35 PM.

Redd2

#8 paras

paras

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 01:47 PM

u got a darn good price on yours red..
Posted Image

#9 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 02:07 PM

My Canon is excellent, and yes, the really great thing is that it has a huge battery, which can be charged whilst still in the camera.
I took three 256 MB memory cards with me to the USA last month, and took over 500 photos, without having to recharge.
Mine has 4 megapixels, and unless you are going to make large prints, that is enough!

I bought a more modern version for my daughter, which came out at around $240.

Luci2a

#10 Shibi

Shibi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 04:58 PM

Thanks so much for the input, everyone!

I will be a much more savvy shopper now. Since I will be traveling out of the US (Japan, and to Mexico) I think that I should look primarily at those that use disposable AA-type batteries (because of recharging and voltage issues). I will definitely need to read every bit of those instructions -- buying before my trip seems to be the best idea.

I'll check eBay and see what's for sale.

Thanks again... any information is good information for me!
T.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:52 PM

Ebay is a great place to start. They charge way to much in stores for the same camera you can get for a whole lot less on ebay.

I would though before you buy one read the review at this site by putting in the model number and maker in the search bar. This site would have saved me 200.00 if I would have found it sooner. This one camera I bought(sony) almost all reviews were bad.

http://www.epinions.com

Hope this helps

#12 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:47 PM

try looking at www.nextag.com also

at about $200 range i would say that you would be looking at 3-4 megapixel and 3x optical zoom...i wouldnt bother with digi zoom but thats just me...

other stuff to consider are scenery settings and the amount of manual controls available to you. also size of the screen and the ability to capture videos. you might want to also look at the memory it uses as some are more expensive than others...but this shouldnt be a major factor.

i got the cannon s410 about 6 months back and i like it so far...just wish the screen is a little bigger but its all good...

oh and sometime amazon.com has some good sales and rebates...my gf got the olympus stylus 300 w/ 128MB memory for about $140 after rebates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users