Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sherrymyra

sherrymyra

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 12:50 AM

I am using outlook express. Have been for a long time. Now just last week when I go to close the window I get a notice pop up that says "To free up disk space Outlook Express can compact messages". What is up with that? In the first place I don't have that many messages. There is a box that you can check to not show this message again. I jsut wanted to see about it before I did anything. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 07:00 AM

Perhaps it popped up because you are running out of disk space? What size hard drive do you have and how much space do you have left?
Go to 'My Computer' click on C: drive, right-click select properties. This will show you a graphic of your drive showing free space.

Try some basic maintenance:
(These instructions apply to Windows ME and XP, other versions may not have the functions described)
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
    Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

• Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
    Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk:
    Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now

• When that's finished do a defrag.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Reboot and see if there's any improvement.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:31 PM

Compacting Email folders removes wasted free space which seems to increase after reading and deleting a lot of Email messages within folders. You can also do the same folder maintenance manually:

Tools>Options>Maintenance tab. hit "clean up now" and on the local file cleanup box, you will find the option "compact."

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 sherrymyra

sherrymyra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:07 PM

I do keep my temporary internet files and cookies cleaned out. I have about a third of my memory left by looking at the graph. I have never done a defrag. I am not too sure about the list of things to be done in the safe mode. I am a little frightened to go into safe mode. I am sure it is a simple thing but how do you get out of safe mode once everything is finished up or if I would run into a problem while in the safe mode can I get out without goofing anything up? I jsut went ahead and compressed my emails like the popup was asking.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:35 PM

how do you get out of safe mode once everything is finished up

- you just reboot.

if I would run into a problem while in the safe mode can I get out without goofing anything up?

That depends on the problem, but in safe mode there are fewer processes running and fewer functions available and therefore less chance to 'goof up'. It is Windows running in its most basic form, which is why it's called Safe Mode.

Edited by Rimmer, 02 May 2005 - 06:36 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users