Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't install HP Laserjet 1020 printer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fac33

fac33

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:09 PM

Hi, I've never had a problem with my HP Laserjet 1020 printer but somehow it no longer was listed as an available printer on my PC. Therefore, I used the HP factory installation disc and went through the installation process. However, I still can't install the printer and receive the following error message:

Cannot install this hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware (HP Laserjet 1020). An error occurred during the installation of the device: The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because th INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor. Click Finish to close the wizard.

Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:31 PM

My first guess would be...corrupted files won't install.

I would try getting the current drivers/software from the HP website and using those for my attempt.

Louis

#3 fac33

fac33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:34 PM

I wanted to mention that I'm using Windows XP Professional, SP2. To clarify also, I'm not sure how, but the printer stopped being recognized by my pc. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anything leading up to this strange occurrence. Never encountered anything like this before. Currently, if I attempt to print, I receive a message stating that I need to install a printer; and when I attempt to install this printer, the installation process is not successful.

#4 Connor!

Connor!

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:51 AM

Hi

I would try disconnecting the printer and then uninstalling it from your computer. Then Plug it back in and see if Windows finds the drivers for you, or asks you to insert a cd. Let it Install any drivers, or if it asks you to insert a cd do that. Once it is installed, try printing again. If this fails download the printer drivers HERE.

If the download doesn't have an installer go to Start > Run and type in 'devmgmt.msc'
Look for your printer in the list, right click it and select Update driver. Select the option find the driver from your computer and locate the driver you downloaded. Afterwords right click your printer again and click Scan for Hardware Changes.

Restart your printer and computer and hopefully it will work. If not then I would think it is either a faulty printer. Have you used the printer before, or is it new?

I am doing this based on Vista, but XP should be similar steps if not the same.

Connor

Edit: If Windows doesn't recognise the printer it should still show in Device Manager as 'Unknown Device' or similar. Try downloading drivers and installing them in Device Manager.

Edited by Connor!, 13 October 2008 - 04:52 AM.

Posted Image
Thanks Shaba! :)

#5 fac33

fac33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:44 AM

Hi, I tried installing drivers from the original HP cd but received the same error as before. In addition, the installation failed also after downloading the drivers from the HP website link that you provided and following your instructions (Start > Run and type in 'devmgmt.msc').

This isn't a new printer. To verify that printer is still operational, I successfully installed it on another PC using the HP CD.

Is it a possibility that my PC (Dell Intel P3) doesn't have some necessary Windows software (ie, Windows Downloader)?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:28 AM

Did you uninstall the printer in the Add/Remove programs before reinstalling the drivers?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 {PoSeIdOnAs}

{PoSeIdOnAs}

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:47 AM

Did you uninstall the printer in the Add/Remove programs before reinstalling the drivers?

You *must* do precisely that.

Throw away the CD. Don't ever install drivers from a CD again, unless you cannot find newer software online.

So..

-Uninstall any HP software/drivers in your PC
-Unplug the printer from the computer
-Restart
-Install the software from online. Try this link. This download is 368MB, and is version 4.0, dated Dec. of 2006.
-Plug it in when it tell you to. NEVER earlier.

Oh I forgot to ask you if you have *any* other HP products, such as scanners, all-in-ones, cameras, etc. If you do, their software may have modified the program for the printer and caused the issue to begin with. I haven't heard of this before, and I myself own 2 HP printers and a HP scanner with no conflicts, but you never know.

Edited by {PoSeIdOnAs}, 14 October 2008 - 04:50 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:57 AM

Throw away the CD. Don't ever install drivers from a CD again, unless you cannot find newer software online.

Oh I forgot to ask you if you have *any* other HP products, such as scanners, all-in-ones, cameras, etc. If you do, their software may have modified the program for the printer and caused the issue to begin with. I haven't heard of this before, and I myself own 2 HP printers and a HP scanner with no conflicts, but you never know.

If those drivers have been working all this time I wouldn't throw out the CD, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't use the CD to reinstall the drivers. Installing the drivers via the CD is not only the easiest way to install them, but you don't have the possibility of a corrupted download.

How would one the drivers for on product effect the drivers for another product?

Edited by dc3, 14 October 2008 - 08:01 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users