Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't boot - BIOS is freezing - more

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cpumelter

cpumelter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:09 PM

Ok, long story as short as possible here...Started having random instability issues w/ pc. Thought it was related to corrupt windows, as I was getting registry, print spooler, other errors. Before re-installing, I decided to run memtest - it came up with several errors.

I was thinking it was configured incorrectly, so off to the BIOS I went, changed settings as per the memory's specs. Voltage was set at 2.65, was supposed to be 2.8; I bumped the voltage up to 2.75, rebooted, pc now says DISK ERROR. I try to reboot into the BIOS to load failsafe defaults, but as soon as I get the blue BIOS screen, the pc freezes & will not respond to any arrow buttons, etc.

So, that's where I'm at right now. I had 2 sticks installed, I removed 1, no change. Where can I go from here?

My RAM is - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820148007

My motherboard is - http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard...TYPE=Socket%20A

Help! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Instability issues of a varied nature on a system...can be indicative of RAM problems. Same could be said of a failing/dead CMOS battery.

But...you cannot just arbitrarily decide to change random settings in a system BIOS...and hope that they solve anything.

I suggest that you remove your CMOS battery and force the BIOS to return to default settings. Maybe something will work then, allowing you to boot into Windows.

http://www.pctechbytes.com/computer/article-21.html Ignore any suggestions to write down settings, that's not necessary.

I further suggest that you look carefully at the Memtest data and try to figure out just what the problem might be...system or RAM module.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

I would do as hamluis has suggested and clear the CMOS, unplug the computer and remove the CMOS battery for at least fifteen minutes, this will set the BIOS to the default settings. I would then try each module separately, and the try testing the modules separately with Memtest86, the longer you run this test the more accurate the results are going to be, at least an hour per module.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:40 PM

I reset CMOS & am still getting the Disk Error. I cannot get booted back into windows. However, I am able to work my way around the BIOS without it freezing up. I guess my only option at this point is to attempt a windows reinstall.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:19 PM

I had a situation similar to yours...appeared out of nowhere on this same computer.

Trial-and-error eventually led me to check my RAM, using Memtest. I did so, realizing I had recently changed modules (I have excess RAM modules).

Memtest pointed to the modules, all except one. As long as that one module was inserted, the system ran fine...because that module's speed was acceptable and anytime a user runs modules of varying speeds...the lower one is the standard speed used.

Bottom line: I didn't want to use that module as my baseline, so I went into the BIOS and clocked my RAM speed down. All of my modules were fine, it was my CPU clock which was creating the situation with the RAM modules. The moral of my story: Just because Memtest says that a module is "bad", it ain't necessarily the module which is the culprit or the solution.

Edit: All of the RAM modules running at the higher speed...were supposed to be compatible with the motherboard, according to the manual. But that did not take into account that the motherboard was may have been "overclocked" when the chip was inserted into the board.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 October 2008 - 09:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users